Wednesday, September 11, 2013

IFBB Pro Marcy McCaskey Interview



Photo Credits:
Photos 1-2: Tony Rodriguez
Photos 3-5: NPC News Online/Amir Mirandi




A former cyclist, Marcy McCaskey found something new when she started weight training. Something different and as she says, harder. Needless to say, it being harder was no obstacle Marcy could not overcome as at the recent North Americans, Marcy won her IFBB Pro card. Marcy's outlook and attitude will make her a great representative of the pro league.

Q: Can you talk about how you got started in the gym?
A: I've always been part of the gym. I was a cyclist and ran marathon's, I ran thirty-seven marathon's. I decided I needed to try something else and had always been in and out of the gym. I figured I would hire a trainer and I liked the results. That is how it started. I made good gains and slow changes to my diet and training and kept at it. Before you knew it I was doing shows.

Q: Coming from cycling, was it a big change to go from something more cardio based into lifting?
A: Yeah, this is way harder. You have to incorporate diet. This is a complete science. You have to incorporate lifting, diet and cardio to get to the end result.

Q: What made you decide to try competing?
A: I was in the gym and am very goal oriented. I like to have something to train for. I sat on the sidelines and watched for awhile. I had a friend and watched her. One day I decided "I am gonna go for it, I am training like this and need a reason to stay true to my diet." I like to challenge myself that way.

Q: Were you nervous the first time?
A: I was scared to death. I figured if I did that then I could do anything in the world.

Q: A lot of people I interview say that after the first show, competing becomes addicting to them, was that the case for you?
A: Yeah, I can see that. I always think I can do better. I always look to see where I can improve instead of looking and giving myself credit for what I have done. It gives me a next point to get to and do better.

Q: You started with figure, why did you switch to physique?
A: I like to workout and have more muscle. With figure I couldn't have the muscle I wanted. Physique gives me a chance to bring out my personality on stage and with figure I feel like you cant do that as much just doing quarter turns. With a routine, it is fun, you can let yourself shine a bit.

Q: Was learning the posing harder than you expected?
A: Yeah! There are so many things to think about. You start to get into your pose and try and remember everything. I try and practice posing every week and in the gym practice a few poses depending on what body part I am training. I try and look at my muscle and see how it is forming.

Q: You just won your pro card at North Americans, when you first realized you were now a pro, do you remember what went through your head?
A: I don't think it's really even sunk in yet. I really love to try and be an inspiration for people to get healthy. I do that with my customer base now and they see that and ask me questions. I'm trying to get it to sink in and have a photo shoot this weekend and am doing some things. My coach says "you are a pro now you are a pro now."

Q: When do you think it will fully sink in?
A: My coach told me "when you go to shows or are in the gym, people are gonna look at you differently and look up to you more." When I start to see some of that it will be more real. Even my photo shoot this weekend, my coach wants a poster for the gym and some 8x10's. Even talking to you, this is awesome, it's fun, it's a way to tell your story and hopefully somebody can identify with it and do the same.

Q: No! I knew I was bringing my best package that I ever had and felt confident. I was thrilled with first call-outs and would have been happy with that. My coach said I had a shot and it got me psyched up and backstage I said "you know what? I have a shot at this, I am gonna give it a thousand percent and have fun and own the stage and see what happens."

Q: Does the pro card for you as far as how you portray yourself with fans of the sport?
A: I think so. Being part of the IFBB, you want to present a good image, at least I do. I want people to see me as a role model. I try and be positive and present myself in a way my kids would be proud and inspire people. I want to be healthy and have a good life and see what I can do.

Q: Do you know when you want to make your pro debut?
A: It is gonna be next year. Probably in the summer. I will try and do the first ever Masters Pro for sure. I would like to do another one to. They are talking of doing a pro show with the Emerald Cup and I would love to do that one as well.

Q: Where do you need to be better for a pro stage?
A: Always working on my back and v-taper. I brought my waist in quite a bit. My ham/glute tie-in and make it tighter. I made improvements in my abs and want to continue there to.

Q: You were nervous for your first show, do you expect it to be the case for your first pro show?
A: No way! I wanna own it. It is a certain confidence, you step on the stage and say "I am a pro now, I need to own that and bring my best to the stage." I am not gonna bring anything short of a hundred and ten percent.

Q: In the gym do you get the stares and attention from people?
A: All the time. Right before the show I heard "wow, you take care of yourself."

Q: When you are in public, do you cover up and avoid attention or more proud and showing it off?
A: I am proud of it and I am showing it. Tastefully of course. I am not gonna wear long sleeves and cover up my hard work.

Q: If you could spend a day training with someone you have never trained with before, who would it be?
A: I am lucky I get to train with Erica Blockman. I would like to train with Dana Linn Bailey. I wanna see what she is doing. She looks good, she is ripped.

Q: Anyone you want to thank?
A: I feel honored to have the best coaches. It took awhile to get to the right people. Noel Fuller is awesome and brings lots of experience. Derek Kaneshiro and Team Dream Quest, they have guided me to bring my best to the stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment