Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Cassie Robb Interview



Photo Credits:
Photos 1-2: Invicta FC/Esther Lin
Photo 3: Jerry Chavez
Photo 4: Crime Scene Fotography
Photo 5: Real Time Moments



Cassie Robb is coming off a loss in her pro debut against Laura Sanko. Robb won the first round before losing in the second. However even in defeat Robb showed great promise and potential. She returns to the Invicta cage July 13th to take on Livia Von Plettenberg in a fight that while the opening fight, could be one of the most exciting fights.

Q: Your last fight you lost to Laura Sanko. You won the first round before losing in the second, looking back, anything you wish you had done differently?
A: I wish I would have been more aggressive in the second round. I knew I was winning and I think I let it get to my head. Part of it is I just lost what I was doing. She got the takedown and landed on top and I was like "Oh my God, how did that happen." I tried to defend the best way that I could. I knew giving her my back would be risky, I would rather get choked out than ground and pounded. I took the risk and it didn't work out. I will be smarter in my next fight and think about what I am doing.

Q: With it being your pro debut, could excitement or nerves played a part in that second round?
A: Definitely! I never had the cameras in my face or any of the publicity and marking. I had a little pressure on me and I kinda lost it. I don't think it will happen again, I am to focused and ready for my first win in Invicta.

Q: You are fighting Livia Von Plettenberg coming up, how do you feel you match up with her?
A: I think it is a great match-up. It will be one of my toughest fights. She lasted all three rounds with Joanne Calderwood and JoJo is a tough girl. I think it is gonna be tough and hard to finish her but I will do my best to do so. I will be ten times better and really showcase, I am hungry for a win.

Q: Everyone knows the recent drama you were caught up in so I won't go over it, but has it affected camp at all or the reverse, has camp helped you block it out and put it behind you?
A: Yeah, I really just put it behind me. It got to a point where I didn't wanna hear about it anymore. I kept getting things posted to my Twitter and Facebook and he kept messaging and apologizing to me. It was too much. I am trying to focus on my fight, that is all I am thinking about. I have no use for drama, my mind is on winning and that is it.

Q: When I interviewed her she said she expects you to strictly take it down. Do you feel people under-estimate your stand-up?
A: I totally think that. I am known for my ground game, all my wins are submissions, but it doesn't mean I am not good at other things. If I feel I am in danger then I will take it down, but I have been working my stand-up like no other. People will have to wait and see what is gonna happen. Maybe I will take it to the ground, maybe I will stand and bang.

Q: If it does stay up for an extended period, you are confident you can hang with her?
A: Definitely! The thing is, maybe I would be worried about finishing her standing. JoJo is a really tough opponent and she went all three rounds with her. It will be tough to finish each other. I think that is what will make it such a good fight. This could possibly go all three rounds to.

Q: Seeing that Joanne couldn't finish her, if you were to finish her, how big of a statement would that be?
A: I think it would be a huge one. It would definitely get people to stop under-estimating me. I was the underdog in my first fight, especially against a girl in her hometown, no one expected anything of me. I kind of opened there eyes that I deserve to be there. Now I am really gonna show them.

Q: She is at Team Quest, known for their wrestling so you have to assume her wrestling is getting better, but if it goes down can she hang with you?
A: I think she might be able to hang with me but I don't think she has a chance to submit me. I pride myself on my submission defense. Aside from Laura, she was really squirmy and sneaky. I usually don't have so much trouble getting out, especially rear naked chokes. Passing guard to, every time I tried to get my leg over hers, her leg was underneath. I don't think Livia will have that on the ground. Laura was a pretty good wrestler to.

Q: Is there a key to you winning this fight?
A: I don't really think there is. I like to keep my options open. I have a variety of ways I could finish her. It might end up on the ground a everyone expects but it will not come that quick. I am not gonna have it straight on my mind. I wanna stand and put on a show for everyone to see. There isn't really a strategy, you get hit once and that whole game-plan can be ruined.

Q: you are the first fight, do you like to get it done early like that?
A: Yeah, I like to fight early and watch the rest of the show, especially with Invicta, there are so many action-packed fights that would be a bummer to miss. I have never fought that early for other promotions. It is a nice switch-up. Sometimes waiting in the back made me more nervous and think "when am I up? How many more fights?" There is a little pressure to start the show out but I didn't have a problem last time, I can live up to it again.

Q: With so many top fighters on one show, do you go in with a desire to not only win but steal the show and be the fight everyone is talking about?
A: Totally! I would love that. Who knows what it will take to get to that point, but I know I will do something special. I don't know if it is this one or the next one, but I will be one of those girls for sure. Maybe I will get in there and do a ten second flying triangle and then I will have the fastest submission.

Q: She has been very respectful, is that something you appreciate?
A: Definitely! I don't think it needs to be any real beef. Yeah, you are getting in there to fistfight, but I have the utmost respect for any girl gets in there and has the lady-balls to do it. It is really scary. Anyone who says they are no scared is lying. It is nerve-racking and an adrenaline rush, especially victory, that is the best part, makes it all worth it. I appreciate she has been respectful, no trash talking, I feel I have been the same way. it is respect for the girls who get in there and do what you do.

Q: Do you have a prediction?
A: Not really. It is hard to have a game-plan cause it can all switch up. Something goes different and the whole plan is messed up. Don't expect me to take it right to the ground. I am gonna stand with her and put on a show for everybody and show I am not just a wrestler. If it does come down to it, I will take her down and I will choke her out, I will come out with my hand raised.

Q: Any idea what you want after this or just one at a time?
A: One at a time. Some day I would like to fight for a title for Invicta, but I don't think I am ready for Michelle Waterson just yet.

Q: Your girlfriend Stephanie Skinner also fights, you gets more nervous when the other fights, you or her?
A: I think we are pretty even. It is hard to see someone you care about get hit and kicked and choked. She would probably say me and I would say her. Honestly, it is about the same.

Q: Anyone you want to thank?
A: My fiance Stephanie Skinner, my coaches Benjamin Schissler and Diana Rael, my team Serial Boxe Killers, my sponsors, Inksmith Tattoo, Jack-n-Grill, Straight Bully, Mass Destruction MMA and L.A. Boxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment