Thursday, January 10, 2013

Jenna Fox Interview







After taking a hiatus while searching for a new camp, Jenna Fox returned to the cage late this year with two straight wins, one by submission and one by verbal submission. The wins bring her amateur record to a perfect 8-0 and shows the very promising future that she has in the sport.

Q: Can you talk about how you got started training for the sport?
A: One of my friends, Logan Hickerson, was starting to get into fighting. At the time I was a senior in high school and was kind of a workout junkie. He wanted me to come try out the cardio portion of the class. I went and tried it and sparred a little bit and was hooked instantly. I only trained a week before I decided I wanted to fight and I was obsessed from there.

Q: How long did you actually train before fighting?
A: I trained for about seven months. When I started I was still in school and doing track. My training was off and on when I started but once I got to summer time I was doing two-a-days and training as much as possible.

Q: That first fight, as you are about to go out, where you nervous at all?
A: I was excited. Once I stepped in the cage I got a little nervous. A lot of people say that once they get in the cage they are like "what am I doing here?", and that's how I felt. I started to shake a little bit and was like "oh no, I am actually doing this", but I just took a couple deep breaths and relaxed and I was fine.


Q: Some people don't like the thought of their daughter getting punched in the face, where your parents o.k. with you fighting?
A: Not at first. Not at all. Actually I moved out before my first fight because they were so against it. I was extremely bull-headed. But then, after a couple of fights they realized I knew what I was doing and have been extremely supportive since then.

Q: Your last win was a verbal submission over Christina Skinner, how satisfied were you with your performance?
A: I was happy. I improved a little bit. I did a few things I wish I hadn't but I had improved upon my fight before that and that is always what I work for. I was satisfied.

Q: That made two straight submissions, is that something you go in looking for or it just presents itself and you take it?
A: I kind try and think that if I end up in the situation, I will go for it. I ended up on the ground so once I got there I was looking for that armbar. I try not to focus on one ending because usually once you get in there it ends a completely different way.

Q: Before the October fight you had taken some time off, was there a reason?
A: The team I was with, the coach I had I wasn't really happy with anymore. It got to the point where I didn't even wanna go to practice and that is when I knew I needed to take a step back and fix what I was doing. I needed to fix something and find a new team. It took longer than I wanted to find that team but I got there in the end.


Q: So I assume you want to be more active this year?
A: Absolutely! I don't want to take any more year long breaks if I can do that.

Q: Your record is 8-0, do you expect with that record that it may be harder to get opponents?
A: It depends. Around here, local opponents, probably yes. I know there is lots and lots more girls if I can get on a promotion that will pay girls to travel. There are plenty who are willing to take the fight but all are not prepared to fight someone as experienced. A lot of people around here don't realize that timing matters.

Q: If you would critique yourself, where do you feel you need the most improvement?
A: I would say my movement, my footwork. I have a tendency to go towards someone and keep punching and not move and take more shots than I need to. I have been working on that a lot, moving while punching.

Q: Have you given any thought as to when you want to turn pro?
A: I have thought about it a little. I haven't put to strict of a time-line on myself cause I want to go pro when it feels right. I would be really happy if this is my last year as an amateur but if I get to the end of the year and I don't feel I am ready then it can wait.


Q: Three years from now where do you see yourself in the sport?
A: I would like to be a bantamweight champion. That would be ideal.

Q: You just got to go cover Invicta, what was that experience like for you?
A: That was really cool. It was very new since I am not a reporter. It was cool to see those fights in person. I learned a lot watching people in my weight class. I tried to pay special attention to see what I need to do to get there.

Q: After doing it, is writing and covering fights something you want to do more of?
A: Yeah, I think that would be something I would like to do on the side here and there. I enjoy writing and MMA is everything so it is another way to stay involved.

Q: What was the highlight of it for you?
A: Meeting "Big" John McCarthy was pretty cool. He was super nice. You watch someone on t.v. for so long and you don't know what to expect when you meet them but he was super nice. I was a little star struck.


Q: With Invicta and now women in the UFC, how excited are you as a female fighter with what is happening right now?
A: It is amazing. Not that long ago Dana White said no way women would get in and then Ronda Rousey explodes on the scene and he changed his mind really quick. I think there is a lot of girls who will end up giving Ronda a run for her money and he will eat his words even more.

Q: Anyone you want to thank?
A: My team Central Illinois Combat Club, I have learned so much since I started going there. MY friends and family, they are really supportive. My sponsors who have been there for me from the start, they are really great.

No comments:

Post a Comment