Thursday, June 28, 2012

IFBB Pro Laura Boisacq Interview



Photo Credits:
Photos1,2,4: David Aboody
Photo 3: Twixpix
Photo 5: RX Muscle



At Nationals in 2011 Laura Boisacq won her pro card in bodybuilding. It was no surprise as anyone who closely follows the sport surely expected that it was only a matter of time before she received it. Always bringing a great package to the stage combined with a great stage presence and incredible posing. In May she made her pro debut in the physique division, while she probably would have liked to place higher, she clearly showed she belongs on a pro stage and will continue to improve upon that placing. If you are a fan of the fitness industry you should be a fan of Laura. She is one of the truly good people in the industry.

Q: Can you talk about how you got started in the gym?
A: Well, I got started when I was about eighteen years old. I liked working out, it felt good. I also grew muslce really easily so I stopped because I was getting bigger and that wasn't what I wanted at that point in time. So Is tarted a t a young age.

Q: How long had you been training when you decided to compete and why did you decided to compete?
A: I had been training off and on since 1997 and my first show was in 2003. Not really training, just going in and working out to stay fit. I like to eat haha, so I eat so I workout. So five or six years of working out pretty consistently before I started to compete. I did it because several people said "you look good, you look lean, you should do bodybuilding". So just listening to people around me, I decided to give it a try.

Q: A lot of society still doesn't consider consider bodybuilding to be the most feminine sport, did any family or friends have a problem with it?
A: Yeah, my husband at the time wanted me to compete but wanted me to do fitness. When I see that I think of the gymnasts and the dancers. I just thought there was no way, I'm not built like that, that looks way to hard. I would rather just push a lot of weight around. Those fitness girls have it rough, it's not just lifting and cardio, they have that super intensive tumbling practice. My hats off to them. He didn't want me to do it because of what society perceives female bodybuilding to be. You think of Iris Kyle, Kim Chivesky, and how these women looked at one time and how they looked as they progressed. He wasn't happy about it. Every time someone would ask me if I was a figure competitor and I tell them I am a bodybuilder, they just stop and look at me like "o.k.".

Q: A lot of people say competing becomes an addiction, was that the case with you?
A: I don't know that I would say it becomes an addiction so much as working out is already a part of my lifestyle. So it is kind of like putting something to use that you already do on a daily basis, like brushing your teeth or taking it shower. It is just part of what you do everyday, so if it is something you can do and make a living off of it, not that I make a living off of bodybuilding, but I do make it off of personal training. I can replicate what I have done for other people.

Q: Anyone who has seen you knows you excel at posing, people who may not follow closely may not realize how important posing is, can you explain the importance?
A: I would say that stage presentation is huge. When you step on stage, how you feel about yourself and your self confidence comes out to judges. If they the deer in headlights look or uncertainty it comes across and translates to the judges as less poise, less strength. People come out on stage and aren't very good at poisng, haven't done homework or are hitting things all wrong, you cant judge what you cant see. So as a bodybuilder if you don't know how to pose, judges cant judge what they cant see. If you do a routine as a woman, it is supposed to be beautiful and graceful and feminine and flowing but fun. It is all a part of how people perceive you. it is huge as far as scoring with judges and as far as the audience and fans. You have to practice. It comes across as being sloppy or not entertaining.

Q: You and your husband also like to do mixed pairs, is that something you would like to see more of at shows?
A: I love mixed pairs. It is something Shawn and I have talked about when we get to Arizona. Trying to get mixed pars back to the national level. It is such a beautiful sport, it is so wonderful to see two people when it's done right. Part of why I think it came off the main circuits is because people get up there and make light of it. Even though it is supposed to be entertaining, it is also supposed to represent what the sport is about, power, grace, transformation of the body. You think about the days of old and they really put together powerful routines and as time passed they got ore comical. It lost its validity which is unfortunate. I would love to see more of it.

Q: In November at Nationals you won your pro card, what went through your head when you realized you won it?
A: I think the first thing is how it would affect Shawn and I. That was probably my first thought. How would it work? We couldn't do mixed pairs anymore because I am a pro and he is not. How would he feel about that? It was something we would have to deal with.

Q: In May you did the N.Y. Pro and did physique, why did you try physique?
A: Well, when I got my pro card, the first thing I did, with the new division coming up, I spoke to several people and they said to compete as a pro I would need to put on ten more pounds. If you know anything about me, in 2008 at USA's, the Washington State was the week more and I was 116.5LBS, and I had to cut water twice at USA's to make weight and came in at 112.5LBS. I went from that to coming in at Emerald Cup last year at 121.2LBS. It took three years to put on that size and it was only a difference of five pounds. The thought of putting on ten pounds, it didn't seem realistic for me. So when I heard physique was coming, I spoke with Steve Wennerstrom and he said "don't downsize too much, just a little bit, keep your muscle" and I had already put my application in for the N.Y. pro. I wanted to do the Europa, but I had significant surgery. It took me a good four or five weeks before I could train. So I was only able to train for N.Y. for nine or ten weeks. I wanted to do physique because I thought it would fit me. As it turns out, when the first physique pro show happened, and it ended up being drastically smaller, almost figure like, the line between the two was almost invisible. I think everyone was in shock. After a few shows they started to develop a pattern, starting to solidify what they wanted to represent the division. It gave me something to focus on. The package I brought was more right for physique. I placed with Debbie Leung, Michelle Blank, the next weekend Debbie took third at the Toronto Pro, Dana Linn Baily was fourth call-out. It was a total flip-flop of placement. It was an interesting call-out. I like the look that they called-out. I thought "that's good, I can do that, that looks like lightweight bodybuilding to me".

Q: Do you know your next show?
A: No, I was just talking about it. I told a friend "I am not even sure if I would do bodybuilding or physique". I think I am still to big for physique. As soon as I came back to the gym, I lifted how I wanted to lift, what is fun and feels good for my body, and as soon as I lift heavy that size comes right back. So I don't know what I am gonna do. We thought about doing Wings of Strength cause it is a pro/am and we can do it together. So we can go through prep at the same time.

Q: When you are in the gym, do you get a lot of attention or stares?
A: People look, but not a lot of negative attention. I have been in my gym since 2005 and it is a small town, everyone knows everyone else, so a lot of people know me here. So I don't think a lot about it.

Q: In public, more dress to cover it up or show it off?
A: I think it's more according to the weather, which it is pretty crappy here most of the time haha. I am usually covered up cause it is rainy or cold or snowing. In the gym I have worn shorts two or three times the last couple years cause I don't like sticking to equipment when I work out haha, it grosses me out haha. Otherwise, if it is fifty degrees, I wear a tank top cause I hate long sleeve shirts.

Q: If you could spend one day training with any one person, who would you pick?
A: There is a couple women, but if I have to pick one, I would love to train with Lindsey Spittler. She is awesome. I love her back, shoulders and abs.

Q: Before we finish, anyone you want to thank?
A: Of course my husband. He has always encourage and supported me. He was the head judge my first show. All my friends here that have supported and pushed me through my low moments, and my friends on facebook. Thank you to for the interview and opportunity. A special thank you to Steve Wennerstrom who always gives me the lift in my life when I need it most. Given advice and direction and is a blessing to many women in the industry. I really want to make sure you all know that had it not been for LSR (my good friend Marilyn), Max Muscle Anchorage (my dear friend Froilan), Lottie Michael (my family), and FigureSupport.com, my journey to New York would have been much more difficult, and burdensome to my family. So a special thank you to my sponsors for being so kind and gracious to me

1 comment:

  1. I bet you can't guess what muscle in your body is the muscle that gets rid of joint and back pains, anxiety and burns fat.

    This "hidden survival muscle" is in your body and it will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual energy, strength and athletic skill when unlocked.

    ReplyDelete