Thursday, November 4, 2010

Viko Newman Interview


First thing I noticed about Viko Newman and her amazing physique was the abs, hard not to. But take a step back and look at all of it, and she is simply amazing looking. Hard work to look like that, and that hard work paid off with winning the Overall at both the Emerald Cup and Vancouver Fitness. Viko Newman is an example of why this sport is so great and an example of the kind of woman deserving of your respect and attention.





Q: First, Viko, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Thank you Jason for your support in this fitness field!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I will be 45 yrs old in a couple of months! Wow! I started fitness competitions when I turned 30 years old and have been doing this off and on for years. I am originally from Tucson Arizona. I moved to Japan do be with my father after I graduated High school in 1983 and was fortunate to meet my husband Mark (US Air force) stationed there and we have been together ever since!

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: I was on the dance and cheer team in High school. Plus I did not own a car, so living in the South foothills of Tucson… I just walked everywhere!

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: That goes back to Japan. Mark was a bodybuilder and brought me into his fitness world. I was the only girl in the Base gym. Mark handed me a pair of 5 lbs DB and showed me how to do Bicep curls….I got hooked!

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: I did not feel like I was training back then… I was in the midst of Military men throwing heavy weights around… so I was too! I got up to a 135 lb bench and a 200 squat back then and ATE everything! (A lot of it was not healthy! Just focused on calorie consumption! Ha!)

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: Yes I am a Monica Brandt fan! I saw her in a magazine and fell totally in awe of her physique! Then of course the Fitness America pageants they used to show on ESPN! OMG!!!

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time?
A: My whole family is obese. I am the only one that believes and lives this healthy lifestyle. So unfortunately NO they do not support me….. Oh well.
I work at a tire store here in Olympia, WA and the crew of guys thinks its neat! I can beat all of them in 1 arm push ups!!! Yea baby!!!


Q: Was competing what you expected? Did anything surprise you about it?
A: I LOVE IT! Yes there are certain times that you wonder what was a judge thinking?!!! But a great competitor will take notes and make improvements towards their next show!

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: Well I will not bore you from shows way back when… But 2009-2010 has been great!
2010:
8Jr USA Fitness class B- 3rd Place
*Team U Fitness Class B- 5th Place
*Emerald cup Fitness (Wash state) Overall Fitness winner
*Vancouver Fitness (Wash state) Overall Fitness Winner
2009:
*Team U Fitness Class B- 5th Place
*Washington State Championships- Overall Fitness Winner

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: My Abs!

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: I love ply metric training! Jump lunges, jump squats, hand clap push ups! No added weight just my body weight!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: Cardio drops to 4 days a week of 20 min, weights 3-4 days heavier weight of 10 reps (legs, Back-Biceps-rear delts, Chest-triceps-front delts, remaining shoulders-abs)I still try to watch what I eat….I watch it go right into my mouth! Ha!!!! I tend to stay about 10 lbs from contest weight. My hubby likes to have his eating buddy back!!!


Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: They automatically think I am a bodybuilder! I have to explain that I am fitness and them explain to them what I do and the difference. Unfortunately I work out at a gym that has maybe 1% athletes that train in there. I do not really get any negative feedback….My pet peeve is that when some girls think Its easier for me because I am fit! I work very hard to live this lifestyle and they have it easy because they do not… It is sooo hard to get them to understand this concept. Oops…I think I just blacked out…I tend to do that when I “vent” any frustrations!!! Ha!

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: Oh easy… It always has something with the “Nutrition” being on a strict diet for so long and the teasing I get and people trying to give me “junk” food as a joke! That’s just mean.
Then always they ask me for a copy of my contest diet so they can lose weight too and I tell them “No” unless they plan on competing…. Because this is just a short term diet specialized for some one getting ready for a show not a lifestyle nutrition for daily living!

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: For them to understand they have to make a lifestyle change! This is work and you can have fun while you get your butt kicked in the gym! You transform mind, body and soul!!! It makes you better person inside! Biggest misconception….I have no time……I don’t want to bulk up….I can’t look like that because I have had kids…..just a bunch of excuses really! Women who think they might want to make this fitness change… find a role model, a great coach like IFBB Fitness Tanji Johnson’s “Save Fitness” team etc.

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: Best- New friends you make backstage, the journey, the growth
Worst- Jealousy of friends/co workers that do not support you, Strict diets, feeling tired a lot

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: My absolute FAV…. Tanji Johnson!!! I met her at a show in Oregon before she turned pro!

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Not really any cravings or favorites… Just not having to watch what you eat feels good!

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: What does she want to train for, help her find a great trainer and mentor!

Q: DO you think it s becoming more common to see women in the gym training and lifting as hard as men?
A: I think it depends on what gym your training at…. I do not have the pleasure of having a gym with competitors in any sport. But in our field at gyms… yes its more common.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I am sooooo boring! I like to read, watch TV, clothes shop, and walk my Boxer “Ziggy”!

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Viko Newman.
A: Well reading the answer to the last one should sum it up… Ha!! On work days… I get up at 4:30 am to hit the gym for 1 1’2 hrs, walk the dog, eat breakfast, work 9 hrs, eat dinner in front of the tv and in bed by 8:30! Zzzzzzzzzzzz I told you so!


Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: That I am a quiet person and I do not hang out with any friends. I like my private time. I give so much of myself t the gym and at work that I need time to unwind!

Q: Describe Viko Newman in five words.
A: Flexible, Punctuate, Reliable, Trustworthy, Motivating

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: 2011 pro card would be nice!

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: I have had the wonderful sponsors! “Iron angel clothing”, Iron Diva Fitness wear”, ”Buff chicks clothing”, and the wonderful girls on “Save Fitness” team!

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Viko Newman the athlete and competitor?
A: I am always looking for sponsors! My last show Jr USA I paid for myself out of savings…. Expensive but what a great experience and show!!! I have never done this show before and they just moved it to Stafford TX this year and it was great!!! They can reach me Markandviko@msn.com

Q: Viko , again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: I just want to thank you and all the new friends I have met at all these shows!! A shout out to my newest “Subway” buddy….Fitness competitor Babette Mulford! You rock girl! Now here is a girl turning pro next year!!!!!
Fitness is here! Come on girls and give it a try! No more mandatories!!!! Its so much fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment