Sunday, November 7, 2010

Robin Dee Interview


After not competing since 2005 Robin Dee returned to the stage in 2010 and looked incredible, including an outstanding 4th place at Canadian Nationals. She refers to bodybuilding as her "hobby" well for a hobby she is pretty darn good at it. With her goals set for 2011 Robin is no doubt going to improve on a great 2010 with an even better 2011.




Q: First, Robin, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: No problem - I am happy and honoured you wanted to get to know me :)

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I was born in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada in 1971 (which makes me 40 next year - YIKES) and have lived here since! I love the town and the people that live here :) I am the oldest of 4 children - myself, then my sister, and 2 brothers :) I am very close to my sister - my best friend :)

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: I have always been athletic - basketball, volleyball, track and field, running (long and short), baseball and gymnastics at a younger age.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: In Grade 12, I had to do a project in health class. I picked the topic Bodybuilding and focused on Cory Everson. I immediately joined a gym and have never looked back :) I have been steadily training since I was 18 years old.


Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: I learned very quickly due to my athletic background and some of the guys saw potential and helped me out. Within 3 weeks I noticed a big change in my shoulders and back :)

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: I think it was 1.5 years after I was training, I decided to try getting on stage. I had a lot of people tell me I should compete, so I just went for it. I placed 2nd at my first show. After that, I wanted to put some size on as I am 5'9" and needed to fill out my frame. I then ended up getting married and having my 2 wonderful daughters. So I didn't compete again until 2003.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time?
A: My mom and dad have never supported me about my passion for Bodybuilding. It is sad, but I have grown to accept it and just do my own thing. My husband, 2 daughters, friends, co-workers and sister are always there for me so I have plenty of support elsewhere!

Q: Was competing what you expected? Did anything surprise you about it?
A: It was pretty much what I thought it would be. I knew the diet would be challenging and each time I learned something new about my body and how to change things up to look better each time.


Q: Can you share your contest history
A:
*1993 Level 1 McKenzie Challenge 2nd place
*2003 Musclemania - Fame 5th place
*2003 Level 1 Mississauga Bodybuilding Show 3rd place
*2004 Level 2 Elliot Lake Bodybuilding Show 1st place HW and overall
*2004 Level 3 Ontario Provincial Championships - 1st place HW
*2005 Canadian Nationals 10th place HW
*2010 Canadian Nationals 9th place HW
*2010 Canadian Nationals - Masters HW - 4th place
2010 North American Masters HW - 5th Place

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: I don't know if I have 1 that sticks out - my conditioning is one of my strengths going in to a show. I think I have a pretty good balanced physique..other than I need a bit more thickness in the legs as I am a taller athlete.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train?
A: I love it all :) I just enjoy being in the gym and training - no matter what day it is or what body part - I am there to do a job and put 110 % into each part :)

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: My normal training routine is Day 1 - Chest/Biceps, Day 2 - Quads/ Hams/Calves, Day 3 - Back, and Day 4 Shoulders/Triceps....I throw in abs every 2nd day and rest after the 4th day for 1 or 2 days depending on what I feel my body needs.
When altering for my contest prep - 2005 was very different from this past year :) I did a lot of cardio in 2005 - 1 hr in the am, 1 hr in the pm on top of working and weights. This year, I kept my diet very clean with no cheat days so didn't have to kill myself with cardio. About 8 weeks out, I started with 20 min....then about 6 weeks out I added a 2nd session at night of 20 min.
My diet is pretty clean off season as I have IBS - but if I want something I have it :)

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: I get mostly positive feedback from people. Young, old, male or female - people will stop me and ask me how I got my biceps like that or how much time do I spend in the gym, etc....They always tell me how great I look and how they wish they could do it! Very few negative comments.....there are a lot of people who stare though. But is that negative? I would like to think they are admiring from afar and just don't have the confidence to come up and ask me questions.


Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: "How much can you bench"? LOL

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: That I am not a lesbian!! LMAO People automatically assume that we want to be masculine cause we lift weights. I am a girly girl and think muscle is sexy. I love the lines and shape it gives us bodybuilders!


Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The best part is getting on stage with the goal of being in the best shape of your life :) The worst part is the diet. And at the end, you tend to forget you are doing this because you wanted to, not cause you have to...so it becomes less fun in the gym as you get closer to the day. I am constantly reminding myself, that I chose to do this, so suck it up and train harder :)

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: I love Zoa Linsey - she is a classy babe, I love Iris Kyle as that girl has got it going on! She has size, symmetry and is hard as nails! From the older days, I was always a fan of Anja Langer, Nicole Fuller, Laura Creavelle and Lenda Murray :)

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: It depends on what I am craving that day....pizza, ice cream - my favourite being polar paws - it is incredible!

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: To be patient as it doesn't happen overnight. It is a lifestyle change and you need to take 1 day at a time! Make small goals that you can achieve to motivate you to keep going to your next goal :)

Q: DO you think it s becoming more common to see women in the gym training and lifting as hard as men?
A: Not around my area, but I know that Female Bodybuilding is here to stay!!!

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Spending time with my husband, 2 daughters, 2 dogs (I have a pug and a shepherd), shopping, watching movies

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Robin Dee.
A: When I am off from work I wake up and eat
Drive my girls to school if they want
head to the gym and train
Do errands etc
walk my dogs
pick up girls
do dinner with family
sometimes go in and train again
watch a movie with hubby
If I am working, I get up very early to eat and head in for a grueling 12 hr shift :( so when I get home, I put my feet up and do nothing until I head up to bed!! LOL

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I have a demon inside of me that I battle constantly.....bodybuilding is a very selfish sport and you become so self absorbed. I am constantly trying to stay balanced and remind myself it can't all be about me. When you live in a house with a husband, 2 girls and 2 dogs requiring attention, I try to remind myself to stay focused, but find the balance.

Q: Describe Robin Dee in five words.
A: Funny, Dedicated, Motivated, Sarcastic, Loving

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I am going to start my off season training mid October and get ready for 2011 baby!!!!! Nationals in Canada and the North Americans in Cleveland!

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Robin Dee the athlete and competitor?
A: Bodybuilding is such an expensive "hobby" and that is how I look at it. I choose to do this and of course, would love to have someone look at me, like my look and dedication and help me out. Anyone willing to help out Robin Dee can email me at rlhillis2002@hotmail.com


Q: Robin, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: I saw this posted on facebook and had to share it........Don't know who wrote it but loved it immediately after reading it!

The Hardest Sport in the World
"But in the end, you
...realize there is nothing more real than being a bodybuilder. No sport is
as physically and mentally draining and requires the same excruciating
effort and drive. Training and dieting for months on end for just one
moment of physical perfection are not for the timid or the weak of will.
So many men and women have tried it, but only the select few had the
courage and the drive to stick it out and make it their sport."
"So
the next time you wonder why bodybuilding is the hardest sport in the
world, remember this. Its not just about lifting weights, having fans,
or making the cover of a magazine. Its about strength of mind, of a
willpower that cannot be broken. It means having a spirit that cannot be
dampened. No matter what anyone says, you are truly an elite athlete.
You have become one with those special few who have inspired you and
forged a path you are now proud to follow. And from your example, other
brave souls will follow the path."
"Yes, bodybuilding is the hardest sport in the world - and its also the one you should be most proud to call your own."

2 comments:

  1. At first I thought 'tg'. But tg can't have kids. So combination of genetics and long training (18-40). Says she is a girly girl... hm... IMHO fbb and girly girl do not go together. Interview-speak...? Nice all the same but is leaving out a lot... IMHO. Not sure... hm...???

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are going to comment, the comment should probably make sense. I have no clue what you are saying however no one asked for your opinion either

    ReplyDelete