Friday, November 12, 2010

Cara Thien Interview


Cara Thien is a Fitness competitor who up and down her contest history, you will see has a lot of top three's. There is a reason. Dedication and love for what she does. She says she loves to be a good ambassador for the sport, and she really is one. A great attitude and passion that makes people want to know more about her and the sport. And 2011 may be her best year yet.




Q: First, Cara, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: Well, I was born and raised in Nanaimo, British Columbia. I currently live in Tsawassen, BC where I run my own fitness studio. I am a personal trainer, IFBB amateur fitness competitor and most importantly a wife and mother. I have three children, Montana 12, Brayden 10 and Dylan who is 5. So basically …..I don’t stop!

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: I was a very active but not involved in an organized sport – I participated in high school programs and excelled in volleyball, basketball and track.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: Honestly, Linda Hamilton in Terminator! I loved her arms..

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: I was very lucky I worked with someone who competed and she took me to Gold’s Gym in Vancouver, and I fell in love with it! I felt challenged and saw my shape transform relatively quickly.


Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: It was truthfully a moment of clarity, I had just had my second child and was determined to get back to my pre-baby state when I realized I had a passion for this sport and had left fear hold me back and if I didn’t act on this passion right now I would never get the chance…

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time?
A: No, I remember being told so many things, one of them was I was too old! Or what do you think your doing, those girls are professional dancers or level 10 gymnasts! YOU CANT COMPETE WITH THEM..but I will say I had a couple supporters and they are still my team today, they are my family and closest friends and without them some days I don’t know how I would have gotten through!

Q: Was competing what you expected? Did anything surprise you about it?
A: YES and more! I love it!! I would have to say that I learned to be true to myself at any cost, to live with honesty and integrity! What I'm most surprised about is that every time I get ready for a contest I get the opportunity to review myself head on and not compare myself to others to just be the best I can be!

Q: Can you share your contest history
A:
*2010 GNC North Americans – Fitness Tall 5th Place
*2010 IFBB Arnold Schwarzenegger Classic, Ohio - Fitness Tall 4th Place
*2009 CBBF Canadian Nationals, Vancouver - Fitness Tall 2nd Place
*2009 BCABBA BC Provincial Championship, Vancouver - Fitness Tall 1st Place
*2009 NPC Washington State Championship, Seattle - Fitness 2nd Place
*2008 BCABBA Sandra Wickham Fall Classic, Vancouver - Fitness 1st Place
*2008 BCABBA Sandra Wickham Fall Classic, Vancouver - Figure 5th Place
*2008 NPC Northwest Classic, Tacoma - Figure Tall 1st Place
*2008 NPC Border States Classic, Los Angeles - Fitness 2nd Place
*2008 NPC Border States Classic, Los Angeles - Figure 5th Place
*2007 Ocean Bloom Fame West - Fitness Open – 2nd Place
*2007 Ocean Bloom Fame West – Muscle Model – 2nd Place
*2004 FAME Fitness Canada West – Fitness Open – 3rd Place
*2004 Musclemania Fitness Canada West – Fitness Novice – 3rd Place
*2004 Musclemania Fitness Canada West – Fitness Model -5th place
*2003 WNSO Vancouver– Fitness – 5th place


Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: Legs – I love to train legs and glutes!

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: Squats and Deadlifts – leg day is always challenging and always changing, I love plyometric workouts, track training, stairs and of course nothing like 10 sets of 8 squats to endure but watch the results!!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I train very consistently, Cardio in the mornings, weights in the afternoon and gymnastics twice a week. As I get closer to a contest I will start to focus more on my routine, but I don’t give up weights or cardio! I find my body responds the best when I work out at the same time each day and my nutrition is done by Pete grubbs my job is to follow it and always eat when he tells me and never miss a meal.


Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Usually I find most people don’t really know what competing is! My friends, family had to be educated and I find that most people ask because they like my body and they want to know how to achieve the look

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: Does not apply I am always open to questions and love to be a good ambassador to my sport!

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: I think that most people don’t understand the dedication and discipline it takes to do fitness, you have to weight train, cardio and routine and diet – not talking anything away from the figure girls but we have so much more to do!!!


Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The best part is leaving that stage knowing that I was able to let people see me for who and what I am to rock my routine with a vengeance and love every minute of it without worrying about where I placed! That is the most amazing high for me!!...i don’t see a down side - all I see is a chance to get better every time I walk out on that stage!

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: Yes!! Tanji Johnson, she has the most amazing routines and I love her style.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: It changes every time I get ready to compete. The last time I was on stage all I could think about was milk and cookies!!

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her.\?
A: GO FOR IT AND DON’T LET ANYONE TELL YOU WHERE TO STOP!!

Q: DO you think it s becoming more common to see women in the gym training and lifting as hard as men?
A: Truthfully I'd like to believe this but I find most women still think that if they lift weights they are going to get big and muscular like men. I'd love to see more woman enjoying the challenge of heavier weight programs

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love to be a soccer mom for my daughter, a driver to my son as swimming and a hockey mom to my youngest and if I'm lucky I get the whole family to bike ride around Stanley park while I roller blade, then stop at second beach for swim and then have dinner on the beach!

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Cara Thien
A: Ok,
5:30 up
6:00 gym
7:00 first client
work to 1:00
gym
3:00 – pick up kids from schools
4:00 - get snack ready so they are fed before activities
Homework
6:00 – soccer, swimming or hockey
7:00 – clients
8:00 – join family for movie
8:30 – kids to bed (usually me too!!)

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I'M VERY SHY – don’t laugh I just did a photo shoot and I was unable to get in a bathing suit with this photographer as I didn’t know him that well! Maybe next time.

Q: Describe Cara Thien in five words.
A: Determined, Strong Willed, Happy and Content

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: 2011 CBBF Nationals!

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: Of course, lol – check out my website for personal training services nutrition and advice on competing! www.carathien.com


Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Cara Thien the athlete and competitor?
A: I believe it takes a team to be successful, just like a family we work together to support each others goals. As an athlete I do my best everyday to improve my game, as a competitor I'm focused and competitive, I have a great work ethic and describe myself as a type “A” Personality. I am always looking for sponsors and would give them the same type of support I give my own business.


Q: Cara , again, I thank you for taking the time to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment