Thursday, September 16, 2010

Joni Johnston Interview




Joni Johnston just began to compete in 2010 but is already making a name for herself. And with her hard work, dedication, and desire, it is easy to see why. As you will see from the posted photos, Joni is someone who has the ability to not only do things competing wise, but also fitness model wise. And you would be foolish to be against her using that ability and continuing to make a bigger and bigger name for herself.





Q: First Joni I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I am from a small town in Wisconsin (Spring Valley) Was somewhat of a tomboy growing up, played every sport imaginable and then some. I have been married to my best friend now for 12 years (Steven) and we have been blessed with 2 boys, Spencer (8) and Alex (6).

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: I lettered in Volleyball, Basketball & Softball my freshman year of high school. Loved being part of a team and pushing myself to be better each and every outing.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I had frequented the gym on occasion, but when I met my husband, I can honestly say he changed my life. He taught me alot about nutrition and strength training and made it fun for me, so I try to do that for my clients.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: Training came fairly easy for me, because I liked the results and I wanted more. Wanted to see how much I could transform my body when I put my mind to it.


Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: I went to my first figure show in March of 2009 and I looked at my two girlfriends and said "One year from now, I will be up on that stage" The girls never doubted me and February of 2010, I made my debut..

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time?
A: I have the best support team I swear. Friends who are willing to get up at 3 in the morning, travel all over the world and put their dreams aside for mine, That's great friends!! My husband and boys are my #1 supporters and I can not thank them enough for all their sacrifices. Love you guys !

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A:
*February 2010 debut Bikini at the Desert Muscle Classic in Tucson Arizona placed 5th.
*March 2010 debut figure at the NPC Natural Western in Mesa, Az placing 6th in the figure and in the masters.


Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: Shoulders... They are the hardest for me to train, but I love the looks of them.
Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: Love doing squats .... amazed at women's legs!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: Normal training routine would be 5 days strength training, 2 days of intense bootcamps, and 3 days of cardio ..... increasing cardio days during contest times. My diet is pretty simple, fish and chicken..LOVE them both!

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Definitely more positive!! I think they know how hard someone works by looking at them.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: "Do you like all those veins popping?"


Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: How incredibly disciplined all of us are. We work really hard and it takes alot of courage to get on that stage and showcase your hard work. KUDOS to every competitor!

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: BEST - setting a goal for yourself and through achieving it, finding out so much about your self and meeting so many wonderful people! WORST - No complaints here.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: Several ... however I have to mention my girl Karen Mullarkey ... She is an IFBB pro and she is amazing. She has helped me with more than she realizes and I am blessed to have her in my life! ALSO Jessica Paxson-Putnam who is truly wonderful !

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: CHIPS & SALSA

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: I would tell her to give 110%. Never do anything you can not put all of you into. This is very tough and you have to commit!

Q: Do you think it is becoming more common to see women in the gym working as hard as men?
A: Absolutely, with such role models as Monica Brant, Karen Mullarkey, Jessica etc... it is easy to see why woman would want to work hard. I think it is great that woman are being recognized for their hard work as well as the men.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love to scrapbook. Helps to create a story with pictures, rather than just a photo.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Joni Johnston.
A: Awake most days by 5:30. 3:30 on Saturdays to travel to bootcamp. Training clients til noon, getting in my workout, some days training more clients, bootcamps, karate with the boys and then family time!!!

Q: Describe Joni Johnston in five words/
A: Driven, Disciplined, Devoted, Lovable & TRUE!

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: Will be competing November 6 in Mesa Az and from there, will access my body and see what I want to do.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: Ernie Villegas - Ernie's Elite Team - my trainer!! I want to thank him 4 giving me the courage to do this, for believing in me and for opening my world to such wonderful people! The girls on Ernie's Elite team are so encouraging and supportive, It just makes this journey so fun and I am truly blessed to be a part of this team. Also to e3 elite edge supplements ... They offer a phenomenal line of products, including workout wear and they have provided me with so many great opportunities. What a wonderful company to be associated with!! Thank you !!

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so what are they getting in Joni Johnston the athlete and competitor?
A: Always looking ... They are getting a business owner (Fitness 4 Life) a fitness model (e3 elite supplements) a competitor (Ernie's Elite). Several of the things that Ernie taught me was to always give MY best, and that is my promise to you. I go into everything with success on my brain!

Q: Joni, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you for this opportunity and thank you to the readers for taking the time to get to know me ...

No comments:

Post a Comment