Monday, July 29, 2013

Jessica Zomcik Interview



Photo Credits:
Photos 1-5: Shoot It MMA



Jessica Zomcik is considered by many to be the top 145LB amateur in the sport right now. After taking a hiatus from the cage, she has joined Evolve and put together some very impressive wins. She was set to face Jenna Fox at NAAFS Caged Vengeance however Fox has since withdrawn from that fight leaving Zomcik without an opponent. At the time of this interview the fight was still on.





Q: Last fight, you won a decision over Jena Baldwin, how satisfied were you with your performance?
A: Very satisfied, of course there is always things I can do better. She was a super tough cookie and was glad we could put on a performance for the fans, but I'm always looking to improve my game.

Q: It was the best I have ever seen you in terms of striking, is that something you have been working on a lot lately?
A: Yes ! I really only had my boxing coach, Al Zuck, who worked stand-up with me when I lived in Erie, so I always had that sort of boxing style until I moved to Evolve. I feel I've transitioned into more of a Dutch Muay Thai stand up fighter after working countless hours with striking coach Steve Traczyk. I really like how it's rounding out my skills.

Q: You have Jenna Fox coming up, what do you know about her?
A: Tough chick.

Q: She has a real good record and has many fights, but is there something you can bring that perhaps she has not had to deal with yet?
A: Experience in general, we're confident anywhere it goes.

Q: You are both really well-rounded fighters, in a case like that, do you go in trying to take it where you want to take it or just go in knowing you will be comfortable wherever it goes?
A: Comfy, comfy, comfy.

Q: She is strong, how much does constantly training with guys help you in fighting someone like that?
A: When you train with elephants your opponents feel like peanuts. I control grown men 200 pounds plus. I believe I can handle it

Q: You are the most popular amateur female around here combined with several teammates on the card, so crowd will be mostly for you, does that help you at all or do you block the crowd noise out once the fight starts?
A: Mostly block it out but I can still hear my papa in the crowd and my corner.

Q: You are two of the top fighters at your weight, do you see this at all as a fight to determine the top ranked fighter in your class?
A: Right now I'm currently ranked number one in nation at 145 and number one pound for pound in Ohio so there is a huge target on my back for sure. This fight is a pretty big deal in determining who's on top

Q: There is more than one female fight on the card, does that make you happy to see women's MMA getting to the point where there are multiple female fights on cards?
A: Hell ya! It's great seeing the sport grow , each month divisions get deeper and competition gets stronger, I love it.

Q: Is there a key to you winning this fight?
A: Keep calm and have fun.

Q: Do you have a prediction?
A: It will be a good fight.

Q: I ask this every time, so lets stick with tradition, have you given any thought as to when you want to turn pro?
A: Haha ! I knew this was coming, few more fights and then it'll be up to my coaches to determine that.

Q: Anyone you want to thank?
A: Thank you Jason first of all, for following women's MMA so closely and getting us exposure to the public ! Thanks to my biggest supporters- my mom and papa, thanks to Joe Moffa and the Riley Hotel Group, Parrish McIntyre, Intimidation Clothing Company, Shoot It MMA, Dr. Scott Higley, Fat A.Z. Musky Lures, John Cook, Steve Traczyk, Mike Riedel, all of team Evolve and Lauren Traczyk. I can't continue my passion without all of you ! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment