Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Amanda Gail Interview








Amanda Gail is one of my absolutely favorite people I have gotten to know since starting my blog. From my first interview with her, to meeting her at the 2010 Arnold's (and laughing as some guy tried to hit on her), to getting to have a nice talk with her at the 2011 Arnold's, Amanda has always been super nice. Amanda shows the is more than the beautiful girl on stage.... much much more. Amanda is one of those people you don't have to have ever seen train to know she trains as hard as anyone. In this interview she talks about not competing this year, but plans to return in 2013 and talks of switching from Bikini to Figure, which I think is a very wise idea. So in 2013, watch out, because Amanda has already looked amazing on stage, but imagine how much more amazing she will look in a division her body is more suited for.

Q: Can you talk about how you got started in the gym?
A: Back in the day, I was in seventh grade and we started to learn how to weight lift properly in PE. We did these little races to see how many we could do and I was always beating the boys. It was more competitive to me. It was something I stuck with. Every time we moved I would go and find a gym. I am thankful cause my body has built up muscle mass and when I take time off its easier to keep my physique, which wouldn't have happened if I hadn't started so young.

Q: When and why did you decide to compete?
A: I think I was nineteen. I was approached at a gym I was working at. I was into modeling and acting and sports in high school. I didn't know how to keep that competitive force going and stay in modeling and acting. I lived somewhere were I couldn't do much in acting so someone said to get into fitness routines cause I was athletic and had been in the gym so long. So I started training to compete and ended up getting married and then getting pregnant so I had to put that on hold. Then I got back on the train and got pregnant again so I couldn't compete. It kept happening,and I was like "great, something will happen, I will have a baby". Three months after my second kid I ended up getting on stage and have been hooked ever since. That was 2006.

Q: A lot of people say after competing the first time they become addicted. Was that the case with you?
A: Yeah. For some people I have noticed they place well and get excited "oh yeah I won, I can do this again", or if you don't do well its motivation to do better. It is that feeling of adrenaline and motivation, you want that again. You might not win much, its more of a hobby, you don't make much money, but its that feeling of preparation and accomplishment.

Q: I can never see the word Zumba without thinking of you. Can you explain what Zumba is?
A: Zumba, I can sum it up in one word, party. Zumba is a party. You go in, you accidentally workout. Its a group fitness class, but you are dancing,e very song is different like a club. The person instructing is like your D.J.. You just follow that person or do your own thing, we just want you to move and have fun. Its a full body workout and is high intensity, however anyone can do it. It's not something where there is rules. You do the class often and catch on and see results if you stick with it.

Q: Is it something that is of benefit to people who compete?
A: Actually I have heard of a few competitors who use it for cardio sessions sometime. I think its a great way to get cardio in. If I have to get on a treadmill or elliptical, it kills me because it gets boring. I would rather do two hours of Zumba a day, and feel like my bod works more and I am more motivated then doing an elliptical for thirty-five minutes. I think its very beneficial for someone getting ready to compete because you are gonna work harder.


Q: What do you enjoy about coaching or training people?
A: You are helping people. A lot of times you go in to train or teach someone and its not about you, its for them. What I get out of it is I am helping someone using my tools because I have been in the situation where you want someone to tell you instead of using trial and error. I know they have someone to help and encourage them. When I was pregnant and didn't know how to train, no one would help me, so that feeling of helping someone get through that is what I get out of it.

Q: When people come to you, whats the usual biggest problem they have? Is it learning how to eat right?
A: The number one problem is eating. Eating is the biggest part of it. Its eighty percent diet and the rest is your workout routine. When you work with somebody you cant control what they put in their mouth and that's tough because you can tell them but it doesn't mean its what they will do.

Q: You did two shows in 2011 correct?
A: Yeah, it was my slowest year. I did the Arnold's and the Supershow of Champions. I also did the Olympia Bikini Search.

Q: How satisfied were you with how you did in 2011?
A: Personally at the Arnold's I feel I did my best. It was the best I have looked, I was working with Kim Oddo. It was nice to just not have to think and just do it so I could focus on my clients. I think overall I did my best. When I stepped on stage at the Olympia, I didn't even train for that, I was going through the divorce and everything. I thought my physique was good enough to get up there.

Q: Do you plan to compete this year?
A: Not this year. 2013 I wanna come out with a bang, new name, everything. I have big plans for 2013.

Q: Are you sticking with bikini or maybe figure?
A: I think my physique is more figure. I wanna go into figure. I like bikini because its more versatile for jobs and advertising. Bikini girls work just as hard as figure girls. I like the bikini look Figure girls are sexy too but I like tight and tiny.

Q: I myself think you have the look for figure, but why do you think it? Maybe the extra muscle?
A: I think so. I think I hold more muscle mass and my waist line is larger. Its harder for me to get that itty bitty waist they want in bikini. I can build my shoulders and lats to give that illusion if I am in figure. So I have more to work with in figure.

Q: Do you need a pro card or are you satisfied just competing and if the pro card happens it happens?
A: I have thought about that alot. I am satisfied with whatever happens. Before, it was about being determined to get my pro card. But in the end does it matter? The purpose isn't for a pro card, its personally reasons, to work as hard as I can, to motivate women, show women how strong you can be, and get up there and show what you have worked for. I would like to place a little better. I'm not gonna lie, it brings you down every time you get up there and think maybe this time you will get top five. That cant be my goal at this point.

Q: When you are at the gym, you are attractive, do you get a lot of unwanted attention?
A: Right now, the gym I am at is a fighting gym, so I o a lot of boxing, and its a small community and everyone knows me. They aren't like that, maybe at another gym it would be a different story, but right now everyone is like brothers and sisters.

Q: Recently I saw a bodybuilder write that she takes offense when bikini competitors talk about how hard they train. Does stuff like that bother you or do you not care?
A: Everyone has their opinion, and until you have been in someone elses shoes, its harder to keep your mouth shut or respect someone. I really don't care when people say stuff like that. If she were to train like a bikini girl she might have a different perspective. I used to think bikini training would be easier and I was wrong. After doing bikini training it was tough. You still train hard. Might not be as heavy lifting, but it is tough.

Q: Anything you want to add or anyone you want to thank?
A: I just signed up with Star Chem Labs now and am really excited. Huge thank you to them because going to a new company I didn't know if it would be an option. I though maybe my career is finished, so huge thanks to them for supporting me and everything I am going through in my life. I wanna thank you to cause you have been there since the Arnold's in 2010. I have seen your entire physique change. You don't even look like the same person. You worked your ass off and I admire you so much.

2 comments:

  1. Get it real hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet you can't guess what muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pains, anxiety and burns fat.

    This "hidden survival muscle" in your body will boost your energy, immune system, sexual performance, strength and athletic power when developed.

    ReplyDelete