Thursday, January 5, 2012

Lexi Berriman Interview








Q:First, Lexi, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A; Thank you so much... The pleasure really is all mine! It's an honor to be recognized.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: Yes of course. I am a good ol farm girl from Michigan born out of Detroit. I have 2 sisters and a brother. I am the youngest out of the children. I moved to Wyoming for a couple years, but then decided that wasn't the place for me. I moved to Las Vegas in 2008, and although I miss the trees and water Vegas has been very good to me!

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or
anything?
A; I always wanted to be an "athlete", but I homeschooled from 7th grade on...
Doing so kept me from school activities that I would have been interested in, and my
asthma made it hard to compete...So no typical sports for me. I did however love fight movies and used to play fight "martial arts" with my brother as a kid which led me to my love for Tae Kwon Do. I trained and competed for 10 years and made it to my 2nd degree black belt and many trophies ;)

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: Well.. Being that I homeschooled I would get extremely bored.... And eat... And sleep til no end... So that needed to change. My oldest sister Sheri would come home from college and wake me up at 4/5 am to do "Kathy Smith" workout videos.. Ugh I hated it but i loved my sister visiting I would do anything to spend time with her. So when she left I would fill my time with running laps around my circle drive and step up on tree stumps pretending I was doing a video. By the time I could drive at 15 I spotted a 2 week free membership in the paper for the gym, and decided to try it. Then I loved it so much I saved my babysitting money and paid for a whole year in cash so I could come as much as I wanted!

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to
see results?
A: I was so lucky to have an old school bodybuilder (Larry Ross) take me under his wing in just my first couple weeks of joining the gym... He got me lifting heavy with the big boys at 15 years old... I remember him saying "girl you start young and by the time your 30 your gonna be looking like your 20"... I was hard working in the gym so I saw results quick. Took my skinny 5'8 117lb frame to 125-130 in just a year.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: I was 18 when I did a "body building" show in Michigan because Larry challenged
me to do so, and I won 1st place... Never competed again...
When I moved to Vegas I joined 24hour fitness and starts training for them. I said to my district manager at a MMA fight for my friend " hey boss I'm turning 30- you should train me for a competition" he said in response " you got it, but I only train winners" haha no pressure right! So that next week he put me on a 12 week program and I dropped 25 lbs and won 1st place in my first NPC Figure show at the Las Vegas Classic Nov 6,2010.


Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported?
A: My co workers became such a huge support system for me during this. I am the type to tell everyone what I'm doing so I can be held accountable. So it went from co-workers at both jobs to my teachers at UNLV to the members at my gym all keeping tabs on me!

Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: I only wanted to compete to say I did it because I was turning 30. I was so surprised that I won, and I was surprised how much I enjoyed it!

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: I am new to the circuit, but here it goes
*Las vegas classic 11/6/10 1st place
*Emerald cup 4/16/11 2nd place
*Las vegas USA's 7/30/11 6th place
*Tournament of champions 9/10/11 1st place figure.

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: I love my back

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train?
A: I love to train legs and back because I'm a strong girl ;)

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for
contest prep?
A: Because I work at a gym and I work so much between 2 jobs... I need to fit it in where I can and pack my lunches everyday. Contest it's all business, and I come first for 12 weeks;)

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what
is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Usually they are surprised because I walk around in boy clothes most the time so you can't tell I'm in the shape I'm in, but they are always positive!

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are
most sick of hearing?
A: I love hearing from everyone so I'm not sick of any questions, but more I laugh because they think that your born with the body... Most don't realize how much work goes behind the training.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one
thing you wish people understood?
A: I wish people understood that 1st we don't all walk around at our stage weight... We are normal people that live to eat. I also wish the women wouldn't think we were
"big" because we lift heavy...because as I show my clients they're arms are
usually bigger then mine and they are lifting super light... It's all about diet!

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: The best part for me is by far the results! I love seeing what I work so hard for. Worst is most def giving up my sugar... I adore anything sweet!

Q:Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: Yes I do! I have always loved Alicia Marie, Monica Brandt, Tracey Greenwood, and Krissy Chin!

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Anything sugar... Ben & Jerry's oatmeal cookie chunk or s'mores is usually my first choice!

A: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of
advice you would most want to give her?
A: Find a coach! Pick a date!

Q: Do you think its becoming more common for women to use the weights as opposed to
just doing cardio and things?
A: I sure hope so, but that's because I love muscle on a girl...

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Yes I love to hike, dance, MMA, rock climb (thanks to my friends that took me out to teach me), traveling is always fun!

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Lexi Berriman.
A: Yes it's usually the same
4am up ready to work at gym
430am first client
530am my workout
630am breakfast
7am train more clients
930am snack
Noon cardio
1pm lunch
2pm nap
3-6pm train more clients
4pm snack
630pm work 2nd job
7pm sneak in dinner

Q: Describe Lexi Berriman in five words.
A: Hardworking, driven, determined, strong, positive ;)

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: That I love to eat as much as I do... I am a normal girl and I can out eat most boys ;)

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: Yes it's gonna be a great year! I start again in May!

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: Honestly I just wanna promote fitness and love helping people, so if you need help add me in Facebook Lexi Berriman, and just ask for your support in my training for 2012!

Q: Are you looking for sponsors?
A: I am looking for sponsors... Someone I can believe in because I am such a loyal and hardworking athlete I will do what u ask and I'm gonna succeed! If I believe in you- your gonna have a following! People listen when there is heart behind the person and what they say!

Q: Lexi, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before
you go?
A: I am really just so thankful for the opportunity and the interest, and again I just ask you keep your eye out for me because I'm not going anywhere. You'll be hearing from me a lot in 2012 if I have anything to do about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment