Friday, November 25, 2011

Candice Carr-Archer Interview






Q: First, Candice, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: You are most welcome. Thanks for asking me.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself?
A: I am from the island of Trinidad in the Caribbean (It is actually Trinidad and Tobago with Trinidad being the larger of the two islands). I am the elder to two (2) sisters and my sister and I were both tom boys when growing up so we were always very active.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or
anything?
A: I did martial arts (Shotokan) for several years before bodybuilding

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I wanted to get stronger for martial arts, lol.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: I picked it up fairly easy but the results were slow in coming, mainly because I was learning and reading as I went along, not really knowing about the proper diet, training methods etc.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: I simply made up my mind to get involved in bodybuilding and entered the Junior Nationals.

Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported?
A: Yes my family and friends supported me and still do till this day :-)

Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: Competing was not as I expected. What surprised me really was the prep as I didn’t imagine is was so tough!

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: My contest history is as follows:
2011:
*Tampa Pro, Tampa, Florida 17th Place
*Pro Bodybuilding Weekly Europa Battle of Champions 14th Place
2010:
*Tampa Pro, Tampa, Florida 14th Place
2009:
*World Amateur Bodybuilding and Fitness Championships, Como, Italy
14th Heavy Weight
*Overall winner, Gold Medal over 55kg, Gold Medal Masters
Central American Champions (CAC) Body Building Championships (Grenada)
*Earned Pro Card
*2nd Place Senior National Body Building Championships
2007:
*Gold Medal & Overall Winner, Eastern Caribbean Body Building Championships (Trinidad)
*1st Place Senior National Body Building Championships
*World Amateur Bodybuilding and Fitness Championships, Santa Susanna, Spain (NP)
2006:
*Gold Medal & Overall Winner, Eastern Caribbean Body Building Championships (Anguilla)
*Gold Medal & Overall Winner, Lawrence Marshall Annual Body Building Championships (Trinidad)
2003:
*Gold Medal & Overall Winner, Eastern Caribbean Body Building Championships (Trinidad)
2002:
*1st Place Senior National Body Building Championships
*Bronze Medal Heavy Weight Central American Champions (CAC) Body Building Championships (Venezuela)
2000
*3rd Place Senior National Body Building Championships
1999
*1st Place Junior National Body Building Championships
*2nd Place Senior National Body Building Championships
1998
*2nd Place Junior National Body Building Championships

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: I would say my back and shoulders as I always had a broad back and shoulders!

Q:Do you have a part you most like to train?
A: I like training chest the most.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I don’t have a ‘normal’ training routine in the off so to speak, in that I vary my routine every 4weeks in an attempt to shock my body to grow. I do not put on muscle very easily thence that approach e.g. 4weeks of power moves, 4 weeks heavy training, 4 weeks active rest etc.
Pre-contest it is a little more normal in that its each body part being trained twice a week, super sets, and an hour cardio every day

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time,
what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: In Trinidad the reaction is more negative but when I travel abroad peoples’ reaction are more receptive.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you
are most sick of hearing?
A: I am sick and tired of being asked how much I bench press and do I beat up on men :-)

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: There are too many misconceptions about female bodybuilders so I will simply say that bodybuilding is a more than a sport it is a life style in that year round training is maintained geared toward making the necessary improvements. Additionally diet is also a key component year round as a fairly clean diet is required to avoid a high body fat percentage.
I wish people understood the vast amount of sacrifice, discipline, dedication, determination, training that goes into attaining the sculptured physiques that grace the stage.

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: There is not a worst part of training for me as I enjoy training and pushing myself. The best part is that I can train :-)


Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: The bodybuilders I admire: Competing presently - Iris Kyle (down to earth lady) and Johnny Jackson (A real gentleman). Retired competitors Rosemary Jennings (words cannot desire the gem of a person she is) and Lenda Murray (I wanted to look like her as a teen)

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Chocolate Chip Cookies and Coca Cola

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one
piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: There are many pieces of advice that would be applicable, ranging from diet and training to rest and supplementation but what I would say is be true to you. On the journey toward your goal there will be many an obstacle that can take various forms and, there will be times when you feel you cannot go on. In times like that I suggest just what I said earlier ‘be true to yourself’ and persevere, make your goals, dreams a reality. It is not easy, far from but consider the alternative of regret and a life of thinking what if!

Q: Do you think it’s becoming more common for women to use the weights as
opposed to just doing cardio and things?
A: I would say it has already more common place for women to use weights. There is a lot more information about the benefits of weight training as there was let’s say two decades ago and women have experienced the benefits first hand and the ‘trend’ has taken root.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love going to the movies and the beach.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Candice Carr-Archer?
Lol, A typical day a something that I don’t really have since I am in the military and anything can happen :-). For the most part I get to the gym for 5:30am, after training head to base. If I am not on overnight duty I will do either cardio or a combination of weights and cardio in the evening. If am on overnight, weight training is out until maybe the following evening.

Q: Describe Candice Carr-Archer in five words.
A: Determined, straight forward, kindhearted, committed and happy.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: That I listen to Opera and classical music :-). The three tenors is my favorite.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I am still trying to decide if I should switch from body-building to physique.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: I want to take this opportunity to say express some gratitude:
I thank God for giving me the health, strength and life to purse my dreams, with him I am nothing.
Thanks to my Mom, sister Gizelle, husband Derek, my friend and trainer Roland, my sister from another mother Rosemarie Jennings and her husband Alex Ramirez for being more that trainers to me but treating me as part of the family.
Thanks also to the people who have simply smiled and spoken a kind word…….a little can go a long way.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Candice Carr-Archer the athlete and competitor?
A: Yes I am looking for sponsors and I can be reached via email (musclecandi@aol.com). With me you are getting more than athlete and competitor, you are getting a well-rounded individual with a passion for what she does

Q: Candice, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Simply thanks again for taking the time to chat with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment