Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Sarah Cook Interview









Q: Sarah, thanks so much for taking the time to do this.
A: Well I really appreciate the opportunity!

Q: Can you tell a little about yourself.
A: I am a 20 year old single mother of a beautiful 1 yr old boy. MMA is my passion, and I want more then anything to make it my career.

Q: Were you especially athletic growing up? Play any sports?
A: I would say I was very athletic all through school. I played every sport you can think of, track, softball, basketball, volleyball, I wrestled, as well as played football. I love to train there is nothing better. Its my way of life.

Q: What initially got you started training for MMA?
A: What got me started in MMA I would have to say was my first medical fight, then I fell in love with every aspect of being in that cage across from my opponent, the rush you feel is incredible. I've always loved the sport, but my first fight was a fight for breast cancer all female card through Absolute Action MMA. That's what got me started.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy?
A: Was the training easy? Don't get me wrong I was always running through drills in school sports like cake, but MMA training? This was no easy task, I knew this was where I would know if I had what it takes to be a fighter. Training now is still not easy but I power through it everyday.

Q: How long did you train before your first fight?
A: Training before my first fight was not very long at all maybe about 6 months. Then I was fighting once a month after that.

Q: Was fighting something your family and friends supported?
A: My family and friends are very supportive they love every second of it. With out them I honestly would have nothing. They are my strength when I enter that cage.

Q: Where are you training now?
A: Right now I am training at Prodigy Fitness Center in Springboro, Ohio. The trainers are amazing they rush you beyond your limits and make you better everyday.

Q: What is your current record?
A: My over all record is at 2 and 3 but I'm working to change that ever time I train.

Q: Is there a fight you are most proud of?
A: The fight I am most proud of was my title fight. I fought the hardest I ever have to get to where that belt and it all paid off. Christine Cyborg placed my belt on me. I will never forget that moment as long as I live. Not many get that opportunity and by God blessing me I did.

Q: What is the one thing you most want to improve?
A: My only weakness is a talk person. Different people have different things, travel gets in their head, and that's mine. I would love to improve my striking its not bad but not the best either. I want to feel I am 100 percent when I get in that cage so striking is focus right now.

Q: What is the most memorable fight you have ever seen?
A: The fight most memorable for me would have to be when I got the chance to see Cyborg's trainer Cosmo Cala fight. It wan amazing fight and he dominated ever inch of that cage. This fight was also memorable because it was the fight I won my first title belt through Absolute Action MMA. I'll never forget the words that came out of Joe Deuorta's mouth he looked at me before I walked out to the cage and said " Whose the Champ" and made me say "I'm the Champ" that was the hardest fought fight I've ever fought. The highlight of my night was when Christine "Cyborg" Santos herself put my belt on me.

Q: Are there any fighters you are a fan of or enjoy watching?
A: My favorite fighter would have to be Christine "Cyborg" Santos. she is my inspiration, and I try everyday to be as great a fighter as her. She dominates every time she steps in the cage. Not only is she a great fighter but shes also an amazing women I've had the privilege of meeting her a few times and being able to talk to her, and she is such a loving and friendly person.

Q: Do you see a major U.S. women's only promotion being viable anytime soon?
A: I do honestly believe that an all women's company is soon to come. Women are making an impact in MMA everyday not only inside the cage , but outside as well. By the way they train, and the way they inspire young women and the fact that discipline is key to have to make everything of yourself as a fighter.

Q: Whenever you see a show with one women's fight, that fight often tends to be the most exciting on the show, why do you think that is?
A: The women's fights tend to be the most exciting because we put so much heart into every move we make and its like we seem to be a lot feistier then the guys.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about female fighters?
A: The biggest misconception of female fighters would be that we don train as hard as the guys, and will never be able to perfect a "mans" sport. Well let me tell you plenty of us ladies have title belts that say most of us train harder, bleed redder, and sweat way more then some male fighters out there.

Q: If another girl told you she wanted to start training, what piece of advice would you give her?
A: I actually have a girl I am training now and when she came to me the first thing I told her was, This is not easy, it takes discipline, heart, and the will to never give up even when the body says no. Win or lose always keep your head held high, fight for yourself and NO ONE else, that means learn from ever lose and learn from every win. The only person that can make you the fighter you want to be is yourself.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Other then fighting and training I enjoy spending time with my son and family, going to amusement parks or even just grilling out and sitting by a bon fire and relaxing. I play any and all sports I can for my school. I love teaching the kids at the gym and just watching them grow in the fight world.

Q: Describe a typical day in the life of Sarah Cook.
A: A typical day in the life of me pretty much starts out at about 6 a.m. if i don't have to work I'm training, running rolling, and hitting the bag till about 10 or 11 a.m., then I spend time with my son, and I'm doing my best to teach him what I know but as a 2 yr old he kinda gets side tracked :). Then at about 5:30 I'm at Prodigy Training Center either boxing or helping out with our medals in the making youth class. Then take my mma classes and I'm usually there till about 12 by the time I get done with my strength and conditioning then its off to bed to do it all over again.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: Most people would be surprised to know that I love to shop. When I'm at the gym I come off as the "tomboy" type so the guys I train treat me no different then one of the guys.

Q: Describe Sarah Cook in five words.
A: Sarah Cook in five words would have to be giving, hard working, big heart, a contender, encouraging. A FIGHTER!

Q: Any idea when you will be fighting next?
A: My next fight will be in November for Absolute Action MMA. My next step is to go pro, and fighting in the big shows like Bellator, Strikeforce, and hopefully one day when women make the break through I want to be the first female fight in the UFC!

Q: Anything you want to take this time to plug or promote?
A: I would love to thank my sponsors Blue Grass MMA, The Garage Massage and Therapy,Cage Passion fight wear, and Absolute Action MMA. For up coming fights go to aamma.net and see me along with my fellow fight mates battle it out for the night of our lives. I want to thank my gym Team Prodigy and my trainer Kenneth Warrix for always having my back.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so, how can they reach you and what are they getting in Sarah Cook?
A: YES!!!!! Always looking for sponsors. My sponsors can always count on my promise to fight hard and promote their name where ever I go, and at every show. As a person I'm very loyal to my sponsors and team so making them happy is what I strive to do, and I do it very well. I have a facebook account and through that they can get my number, or also I have an email which is lilmissmma@gmail.com. Any request or emails will be viewed right away.


Q: Sarah, thanks again for doing this. Any last words before you go?
A:Well thank you so so much for this great opportunity, and privilege to be a part of this interview. Hope to talk to you again soon. THANKS WITH LOVE SARAH COOK!

No comments:

Post a Comment