Friday, June 17, 2011

Erin Moubray Interview


Erin Moubray decided to compete just so she could say she did it. Something "scratch of her bucket list". Little did she know it would become her lifestyle. To me, Erin fits into that saying of "You never know what you are capable of". She has looked very good in her early competitive showings and is bound to keep getting better.




Q: First, Erin, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Thanks for the interview!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I currently live in Prince George, British Columbia. I am married with a young daughter. I work from home doing personal training and helping people with nutritional goal.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: I was never involved in any sports growing up. I was always intimidated by sports and teams, and though only the "athletic types" could play them.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I think it was starting to read oxygen magazines and seeing the girls in there. I always admired the women in them and wanted to look like that.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: It really was. I am fortunate that I can put on muscle fairly easily. It took about 6 months of consistent training that I went from being lean...to toned and muscular.


Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: It was one of those things I wanted to say I had done. I didn't really ever think I would continue on with it...I felt it was going to be one more thing I could scratch off my bucket list. It wasn't until after that I realized this was what I wanted to do and make into my lifestyle.

Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported?
A: It really is! At first I was hesitant to tell anyone as I thought they wouldn't understand. Then came a point when people started noticing changes and I felt comfortable enough telling them what I was training for. Since then they have been behind me 100%! I am even lucky enough to have my mom making all my competition suits!

Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: It was so different than I had thought! I had imagined it to be very competitive (especially amongst that many women). I was surprised how open and supportive everyone is and was with each other. Backstage everyone is like a big family. We are all going through the same things...training, dieting, nerves etc....so everyone "gets" what the other is feeling and has had to do to get there.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: My first competition was last year with the BCABBA. I placed 5th on my bikini group. Then most recently I competed with the WBFF in Gatineau, Quebec. I placed 4th in my Fitness Model Class and 3rd in my Bikini Diva class. Next up is the WBFF Worlds in Toronto!!!


Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: My arms! They seems to need the least training and are naturally very muscular.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: I love training my shoulders and glutes! Growing my shoulders has given my frame a much more proportioned look. As for my butt I have never really had one. I love doing deadlifts and squats and seeing my rear finally take shape!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A:
Mon- Back/ Chest
Tues-Legs/ Glutes
Wed- Arms/ Shoulders
Thurs-Back Chest
Fri-Legs/ Glutes
Sat- Cardio
6 days a week 20-30 minutes of HIIT cardio
If I can't fit in cardio i will do 3-4 rounds of Tabata Intervals. I am trying to add in 30 seconds of plyo's between my weight sets to keep my heart rate up as well.
As for eating I follow a predominately plant based diet. I don't eat any meat, eggs, or dairy. I am eating a small amount of fish occasionally. I am very consistent with what I eat. I need to eat every 2.5-3 hrs. A typical day would look like this:
6 am- 1/2 cup oatmeal with 1 scoop vegan protein power
8:30- Vegan Protein powder and water with an apple
11 am- huge green salad with cucumber, sprouts, red pepper, quinoa, seitan (vegan protein) and apple cider vinegar.
1:30- 3 oz of fish with chopped veggies and some almonds
4 pm- Vegan protein shake
6:30- Same salad as I had at 11 am
9 pm- cut up cucumber in apple cider vinegar- or a shake depending on how hungry I am!
I find keeping a consistent diet year round keeps me feeling good and not having the up's and downs of "off" and "on" season. I also never feel deprived or feeling like I am "dieting".


Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Most people are very supportive. They always think that it is "bodybuilding". I have to explain the difference between the classes and different physiques. I find it is usually women who are react to it more positively. I think most women secretly wish they could do this....however they are just too afraid to try.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: "Where do you get your protein from?" I hear that ALL the time. I find it interesting that people don't realize that you can gain muscle and get an incredible amount of protein from plant based sources!!!

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: I hear alot of women say they would like to lift weights...however they don't want to "bulk" up. Yet they walk around with "bulky" muffin tops and "bulky" overall bodyfat. I wish they would understand that lifting weights will only slim, shape and tone them!!!

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: Best-the feeling I get after training....a feeling of accomplishment and energy to get me through my day. Not to mention an huge stress reliever!
Worst- NOTHING! I hate missing a single day of training. It's a bad day for me if I haven't at least done some sort of workout.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: I love following Jaime Eason. She is very down to earth and loves to share her training to help others!

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Veggie pizza, peanut M&M's, and sushi ( avocado and yam!!)

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: You've got to want it more than ________. It's up to them to fill in the blank. They need to be able to identify why they want to do it and say that phrase to themselves as a reminder when things get tough.

Q: Do you think its becoming more common for women to use the weights as opposed to just doing cardio and things?
A: YES!!! I am on vacation right now and working out at a new gym. I am amazed at the number of women in the weight room!!! There were even grandmas in there lifting....I was really impressed!!!!

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love to cook and entertain. I really enjoy cooking healthy meals for those who wouldn't normally eat a plant based diet. They are always surprised at how good it actually is!!

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Erin Moubray.
A: Cardio, eat, weight train, eat, play with my daughter, clean the house, eat, chase my daughter, get groceries, eat, write client plans, make dinner, more playtime...then try to fall into bed at a decent hour to do it all over again the next day!!!

Q: Describe Erin Moubray in five words.
A: Determined, Structured, Motivated, Compassionate, Unique.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: That I can sing opera:-)

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: Next stop is competing with the WBFF at Worlds this August!

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: I would love people to join my facebook page! The link is:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Erin-Moubray-WBFF-Athlete-Fitness-Nutrition/200405896669257


Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Erin Moubray the athlete and competitor?
A: Yes I am! I would love to get sponsorship from a company that makes plant based supplements. I feel that with competing I can really help promote natural products and show others the great results you can get using them.
They can contact me via email at emoubray@gmail.com.

Q: Erin, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you!! Remember ... If you want it bad enough you CAN achieve it!!!!

1 comment:

  1. You can earn $20 for filling a 20 minute survey!

    Guess what? This is exactly what big companies are paying for. They need to know what their customer needs and wants. So big companies pay millions of dollars every month to the average person. In return, the average person, like me, participates in surveys and gives them their opinion.

    ReplyDelete