Saturday, March 19, 2011

Beth Franklin Interview


SO I was asked "Would you be interested in interviewing my friend Beth? She is the wife of Rich Franklin". Being around fighters alot, it usually isn't a big deal when a fighters name is thrown out. But I am a huge Rich Franklin fan, so of course I was interested. After a couple emails it was clear, I wasn't interviewing Rich Franklin's wife. I was interviewing Beth Franklin, and I like it better that way. Why? Because she is someone who deserves some attention. She placed top five in her first show and has one coming up next weekend. Also you can see how well she does in front of a camera. I think Beth has a real future both in competing and fitness modeling. Who knows, maybe one day the will say "Wanna interview Beth Franklin's husband?"




Q: First, Beth, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: No problem at all!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I was born and raised in Cincinnati OH. My dad was a police officer and my mom was a teacher. I have an older brother and younger sister and an enormous extended family. I graduated from Harrison HS and went on to get a Masters degree from the University of Cincinnati.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: I wasn't athletic in high school at all....just tall, skinny, and uncoordinated. I started kickboxing after high school and did that for almost 5 years. I also got into ballroom dancing after high school. I would go swing dancing or salsa dancing 5 nights a week which was a workout in itself!

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: My kickboxing class was dropped so I started working with a trainer just to stay in shape.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: I have always been extremely lean and my husband tells me I have great genetics so I guess the results came quickly. I am a committed person so once I focused on training, I haven't stopped.


Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: My trainer, my friends and my husband had all been telling me to compete for years... I just kept putting it off. Finally one of my best friends decided to do a show and asked me to do it with her so that gave me the push I needed.

Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported?
A: Everyone was extremely supportive. I had tons of encouragement along the way which really helped.

Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: I had been to a number of shows before so I think I had a good idea of what to expect.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: Honestly I have done a lot of modeling in my past, but the Northern KY NPC was my 1st bikini competition and I made the top 5. I am doing the NPC Cincinnati next weekend :)


Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: Everyone has always told me I have great shoulders and arms. My husband would probably say my stomach or my butt :)

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train?
A: No favorites but I definitely dread leg day. Building up my legs has been my greatest challenge. Being so tall (5'11")- my muscles are very long and don't show up as quickly as they do in shorter people.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: Normally I just eat healthy during the week (avoiding fast food and sugar etc) and then I relax a bit on the weekends. I used to just lift weights twice a week and do no cardio. For contest prep, things get very strict. I eat 6 times a day, no bread, no sugar, no fruit, no dairy. I get one cheat meal a week. I am still lifting twice a week but I also do cardio every single day now.


Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Definitely positive. Most people I am around seemed to think I should have been doing this for years now and I really just got started.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: Most people ask me what Rich thinks about me doing this...but the question doesn't bother me....and me competing doesn't bother him. He actually likes me having my own thing...

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: Some people write off bikini competitors as just girls who naturally look good and don't work at it. I can say that for me, I definitely put a ton of work in and I still have a long way to go.


Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: The best part is feeling good about my health...knowing that what I am doing will make a huge difference in my future. The worst part is the lack of freedom to have a snack, eat out, relax on the nutrition. I say "no" to going out with friends more often because my nutrition is so strict and I am eating every 2 hours.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: I LOVE pizza...and I always eat cookies on my cheat day.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: I heard a quote once that I like that says ""You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up" (George S. Patton) I think that's great advice.

Q: Is fitness modeling something that interests you?
A: I would love to be a fitness model or spokesperson. Seems like a fun and exciting job :)

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love taking pictures, scrapbooking, spending time with family as often as possible and following MMA.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Beth Franklin.
A: Haha- right now...cardio or lift weights, cook, eat, grocery shop, cook, eat, cook eat, try to spend time with my husband, cook eat, more cardio and more eating...and then bed :)

Q: Describe Beth Franklin in five words.
A: Only 5? That's tough. Organized, Outgoing, Compassionate, Focused, Christian

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I was a high school English teacher for 9 years.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I will be competing in the NPC Cincinnati show on March 26th (next weekend).

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: Thanks to my trainer Amy Sibcy at Powerstation Gym, thanks to Stephaney Theobald for her help with my contest prep, thanks to my friends and family for their support on this new journey, and thanks to God for making it all possible.


Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Beth Franklin the athlete and competitor?
A: I am very new to this so I haven't been seeking sponsors yet, although it would be nice. I am very well spoken and very confident speaking in public- having been a teacher for so long. I am committed to everything I do and I am the type of person who gets things done without delay. I know what it takes since I am married to a professional athlete and I am willing to work. I can be contacted through my business email at bethfranklinmanagement@yahoo.com

Q: Beth, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you for your time and interest in interviewing me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment