Sunday, October 10, 2010

Alexis Weiner Interview






Alexis Weiner is a Bikini competitor who is really making a name for herself, evident by her winning her class at Jr. USA's. She did not win her Pro card that night, but it seems to be only a matter of time before she does. With her hard work, dedication, physique and beauty, Alexis is bound to become a big name in both the sport, and the fitness modeling world.





Q: First, Alexis, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: My pleasure!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: Born and raised in Houston, Texas. I went to school at the University of Texas, Go Longhorns! Ever since I graduated from college I have been in the wine and spirits industry in various roles.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: Most definitely. I played soccer when I was younger and did gymnastics. When it came time to choose, I chose gymnastics and stuck with it for 10 years. I competed all around the state of Texas until I was 16.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: The gym has always been a part of my life ever since I can remember. I would say I was born a “gym rat.” My mother told me that she could tell I had muscular legs from all the kicking I did in her stomach!

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: Yes. I have always been an extremely coordinated and disciplined person, partly thanks to gymnastics. I was able to pick up correct form and see results quite quickly, probably due to the fact that I had been active my entire life.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: After starting to train with personal trainers who trained competitors for a living, before I knew it I was sucked right into the fitness and body building world. One is correct when they say it is addicting! Nothing beats getting on stage and showing off all of my hard work and dedication.


Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time?
A:Since my family is in Texas, I communicated via phone with them about my competing. They were proud of the hard work I had put into transform my body, however they did not quite understand all it encompassed. It wasn’t until I went to compete in Houston at the JR USA’s, when they could watch me on stage, that they started to understand better what it was all about.

Q: Was competing what you expected? Did anything surprise you about it?
A: My first competition was definitely scary and I may not have been as prepared as I should have been. However, I was proud of what I had accomplished in such a short time. It definitely gets better the more you get on stage.

Q: Can you share your contest history
A: I gave a try to figure but was not really trained properly, nor did I know what I was doing, so it was not my greatest experience. I then felt that I was a better fit for bikini and started to train for that. I competed in the Arizona Open this past July. It was Arizona’s biggest competition to date and my first time doing bikini. I was Bikini class A and got 3rd place out of 13 girls. I felt great! Next I went on to compete in the JR USA’s national competition in Houston Texas and took first in my class! I did not win my pro card in overalls so I am training really hard for Nationals in October. I am feeling really good about my new regimen and diet!

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: I have always been told that I have quite a nice behind *blushes*

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: I really enjoy it all. I am still learning new techniques and exercises every time I train. I love anything that makes me work up a sweat and I like to feel the burn!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I was doing a 3 day split and 6 days of cardio pre contest. I have no switched to a 5 day split and 6 days of cardio. I can now concentrate on my weak spots on the extra days of weights. I have not had an off season yet so I am not sure on my training post competition. However, I know that I will keep training 3-5 times a week and I will be backing my cardio down quite significantly.

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Very positive. I have always been a very driven person so I work really hard and am passionate about the things that I do. I love to hear that I have inspired someone, and I hope that I can continue be an inspiration to people.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: They are always wondering how I can give up alcohol while training. Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do!

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: Just because I am not drinking does not mean that I do not like to go out and have fun. I am extremely social, have a large group of friends and love to go out with them when I can!

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The best part is the feeling of accomplishment and the feeling you get when they call your name for 1st place! The worst part is FISH!

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: I love Nathalia Melo, she is gorgeous, sassy and has an amazing shape! I also really admire Ava Cowan, she is such an inspiration.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A:Jelly Belly’s, skittles (really any chewy fruity candy) and dark chocolate covered pretzel crisps, YUM!

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Enlist the help of a trainer, a team or someone that has competed. This is not easy, and a support system definitely helps!

Q: Is fitness modeling something that interests you?
A: Most definitely. I have always had an ease around the camera and have been told that I come across well in photos. I have been doing photoshoots to build my portfolio and have been very happy with the outcome so far.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Believe it or not, I like to go to the indoor gun range and fire off a few rounds. I also love hiking, yoga, water sports and really anything active. I have a creative side and really enjoy fashion and styling, makeup artistry and SHOPPING!!

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Alexis Weiner.
A: I work as a business development manager for a wine company and am responsible for the entire state. I wake up bright and early to get a workout in around 6 am, work all day, maybe hit the gym later in the day or do something social with friends.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I can do a mean worm, probably the best you’ve ever seen ;) (break dancing move)

Q: Describe Alexis Weiner in five words.
A: Fit, Fun, Sassy, Driven, Reliable

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I plan to compete in Nationals in October and then we shall see from there! I also plan to pursuer modeling/fitness modeling as well.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: Please add my fan page on facebook, I REALLY appreciate the support

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Alexis Weiner the athlete and competitor?
A: I would love the opportunity to have a sponsor. Not only am I hard working, driven and dedicated, but I am a natural born sales person ;). I sell anything I love, I just cant help it! I can be contacted through facebook or email: texlexut@yahoo.com.

Q: Alexis, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: I will leave you with one of my favorite quotes:
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.”

No comments:

Post a Comment