Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Lauren Ashby Interview








An obvious goal for any competitor is to keep improving. Want to know the definition of keep improving? It is Lauren Ashby. In each show she has improved her physique and therefor her placing. It is easy to see with her dedication she will keep improving. And for her to improve that physique from what it currently is, means we are going to see something special next time Lauren takes the stage. Keep your eyes out for Lauren Ashby, she is really going to be a big name in this sport.



Q: First, Lauren, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I'm originally from Rochester, NY but live in New York City now. I'm married, no kids (yet!) with a crazy dog name Rocco.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: I played sports my entire childhood. I was a swimmer starting when I was 7 and "retired" when I was 17.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: When I stopped swimming I needed to find something to do to stay in shape. My dad bought me my first gym membership to Bally's.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: I started training in my late teens and had no idea what I was doing. I watched the men in my gym and copied what they were doing. I fell in love with weight training and haven't looked back. I started seeing results in my early 20s. I saw a picture of myself in college and you could see definition in my arms. That was my motivator to keep lifting and pushing myself in the gym.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: I was always intrigued my the idea of competing but had no idea how to get started. I worked with a local bodybuilder here in NYC who convinced me to give competing a try. I owe it all to him!

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time?
A: My family and friends, for the most part, have been very supportive. Some people don't really understand it, but overall I am lucky to have such a great support system behind me.

Q: Was competing what you expected? Did anything surprise you about it?
A: Competing was what I expected and no, I can't think of any surprises. I was well prepared for my first show.

Q: Can you share your contest history?
A: I've competed three times. My first show was the Bev Francis Atlantic States in June '09. I came in 13th. Then I did the Steve Stone Metropolitans in April 2010, came in 6th and The Rhode Island Championships in May 2010 and came in 2nd. Working my way up slowly!

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: My back. I attribute my back development to years of swimming.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: I love training shoulders. My shoulders are small, something I continue to work on, but very strong. I love heavy dumbbell shoulder presses and side laterals.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I train 6 days a week. Two leg days with one of them heavy on the plyometrics, chest/tri's, shoulders, back and biceps and pullups and shoulders again. I do ab work everyday to keep them tight and defined and do 30-60 minutes of cardio 6 days a week. I eat clean both on and off season, but do allow myself to cheat on weekends during the offseason. When I'm in contest prep mode, I do 2 sessions of cardio, lift a little heavier and eat smaller portions of my clean diet.

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: I'd say positive. I think it intrigues people when they hear you compete. And I get alot of respect from men when I tell them I compete.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: "How can you diet like that?"

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: We don't all take drugs or HGH. It's alot of hard work, dedication and love for the sport.

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The best part is watching your body change and seeing incredible improvements to your physique. I love the challenge of pushing myself and seeing my goals come to fruition. The worst part is sacrificing time with friends and family because you're just too tired/grumpy/in the gym, etc.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: I totally admire Erin Stern's physique. I think she's among the best and really took the figure world my storm in a short period of time.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: I'm Italian, so anything with sauce and cheese!

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Take it seriously and learn how to handle good days and bad days. Your body will fight you, fight back!

Q: You are also a trainer. What got you interested in that and what do you enjoy about it?
A: I tried to work desk jobs but it's just not for me. My husband is a trainer and convinced me to make a career change. I love when my clients see results of course, that's obvious, but I love when they refer people to me. That's the best compliment ever.

Q: If someone wanted to hire you as a trainer how can they contact you?
A: I can be reached by email: defazio76@yahoo.com My website is under construction right now.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I really enjoying cooking, shopping, I do live in NYC afterall, wandering around the city and spending time with my friends and family since I don't get to during the season too much.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Lauren Ashby.
A: I'm an early riser, up usually around 5:00am. I walk my dog, get my food ready for the first half of the day and train my morning clients. Then I work out mid to late morning and train the rest of my afternoon and evening clients. I spend a majority of my day in the gym with a break to walk my dog and take a quick nap. I'm a very scheduled person, so I block out time for my clients, my training, my meals and my personal time.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: As athletic as I am, I HATE RUNNING. I will not run unless I'm being chased.

Q: Describe Lauren Ashby in five words.
A: Loyal, Silly, Dedicated, Stubborn, Focused

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I have my eye on Nationals in October 2010. I want to be sure I'm ready for such a big stage though.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: Visit my fan page on facebook! Lauren Ashby Personal Training. And if you're interested in training with me, I'm taking new clients.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Lauren Ashby the athlete and competitor?
A: Sponsorship in this business is huge. I can be reached through email, defazio76@yahoo.com. Being sponsored makes me push harder, take it even more seriously want to do well both for myself and my sponsor. I have been sponsored in the past and it made a huge difference in my focus and drive.

Q: Lauren again thanks so much for taking the time to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment