Monday, August 23, 2010

Christine Chou Interview







I am always happy when a competitor seeks me out for an interview. I was especially happy when Christine Chou did. First time I saw her I was amazed. I said "There is a woman who needs to be known by everyone". She was strikingly beautiful and had a tremendous physique. She also has a very loyal fan base, and it is deserved and easy to see why. Here is your chance to learn about a truly amazing woman, Christine Chou




Q:First, Christine, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I'm originally from Taiwan but immigrated here when I was 4. Since then I have been living in Vancouver. I have one brother who is a top hockey player when he was young and has played in Asia and Europe in various leagues.My family otherwise was pretty non-athletics based. I myself played piano but was always athletically inclined at school.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: I played volleyball in high school and also tennis. I went through a running phase as well where I ran 10 ks and a half marathon.
Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I was led to the gym to "stay skinny". I mostly did cardio and only light weights to prevent the "bulky" look. Needless to say, things have changed since then.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: Training came very easy to me. I naturally have power and strength and also can take pain. I am also quite naturally coordinated so picked up exercises easily. It was a natural fit. I started to see results visually and in performance within weeks.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: I was always curious and wanted to challenge myself. It was the best decision I've ever made.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time?
A: My friends were quite supportive but my family thought it was a strange hobby.

Q: Was competing what you expected? Did anything surprise you about it?
A: It was better than expected. I didn't expect to love it so much! I've also met many wonderful like minded people in the process.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A:
*Fame Nationals 2009 -Figure 2nd place, Muscle Model 4th
*Sandra Wickham Fall Classic 2009-figure tall 2nd place
*WBFF 2010-Figure Masters 2nd place, Figure Tall, 3rd place, Fitness Model 4th place

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: I would probably say arms-shoulders. Some people tell me I have nice glutes!

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: I really like training back and like rows and pulldowns.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: Usually I train 6 days a week with each body part trained twice a week. I do mostly weights with one day of cardio. My diet is high protein/high fat/low carb and very clean. I stay away from processed foods, sugars and alcohol. For contest prep, I go even lower carb and lower my total calories. At that time, I also increase my cardio.

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Mostly positive, I have been lucky to have seen results quickly. Many people are surprised I only trained for 2 months for my first competition.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: I am not sick of hearing anything. Everyone has been most supportive and positive.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: That you can be in bodybuilding and still look feminine. Also, if you train with weights, you will not look like a bodybuilder.

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: Best part is the feeling of accomplishment. It's the best feeling in the world. The worst, I would say is water loading and carb depletion.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: Ava Cowan-my idol


Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Sushi

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Be committed and consistent. Too many people expect results right away and give up when they don't' see it.

Q: Is fitness modeling something that interests you?
A: Yes, absolutely.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I like to cook, sports, crafts, painting

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Christine Chou.
A: Really, it's quite routine. Work, train, eat, work, eat, work. sleep

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: Most people are surprised to know that I weigh 150 lbs. I hear that all the time.

Q: Describe Christine Chou in five words.
A: Positive, Motivated, Creative, Resourceful, Friendly

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I plan on competing in a few upcoming shows in the next few years

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Christine Chou the athlete and competitor?
A: Yes, I would love to find sponsors. They can find me on my facebook at:
www.facebook.com/christinespchou. They will be getting exposure for their product as I have proven myself to place in every show I have entered and am confident I will continue to do so because of my level of dedication and determination. I also, promote healthy living in my online blog at fitfabfoodies.com

Q: Christine, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: I want whoever is reading this to always believe in themselves and anything will be possible.

1 comment:

  1. Wow awesome interview, how inspiring! And wow x 2, Christine is smoking HOT! It's nice to see women in bodybuilding who don't take steroids and get too beefy!

    ReplyDelete