Thursday, June 6, 2013

Amanda Wyatt Interview





This weekend Amanda Wyatt returns to the cage in an exciting match-up with Hannah Fitzpatrick for the Universal Cage Combat featherweight title. Wyatt and Fitzpatrick both bring solid records and resumes into this fight and should provide a fight that entertains the whole way. Here are Amanda's thoughts on the match-up.

Q: First, a little background, can you talk about how you got started training for the sport?
A: I actually started training because I was a single mom of three kids and I wanted to get into shape. I have always been interested in sports, I always watched UFC. I always liked that. I found a gym I liked and stuck to it.

Q: Did you know right away you would want to fight or did that come later?
A: I pretty much knew right away. I have always been scrappy.I went with the intention of wanting to take a fight when my coach and I felt ready.

Q: Some might not be o.k. with the thought of their daughter or friend getting in a cage and getting punched, did anyone close to you react negative?
A: Oh yes! Some of my family, my mom, acted a bit negatively. Even some friends. The view o they had was brass knuckles, going in a cage and beating the crap out of each other, they didn't understand the full aspect of the sport.

Q: How hard is it to balance raising kids with training?
A: It is hard. Thankfully my team and coach are awesome. I try not to bring the kids because it is a contact sport and we are always live training. I have wonderful people who help take care of the girls. Anything I need, my teammates and coach are there for me and make sure I get my training. If it is midnight and I got the time, they train with me, I am lucky for that.

Q: First time you did fight, were you nervous or excited or both?
A: Definitely the nerves, not knowing if it would hurt, would I win, would I disappoint people? The walking out is harder, when they call my name, my nerves are going, but I get in the cage and get going, it is on, I am ready.

Q: You have Hannah Fitzpatrick this weekend, what do you know about her?
A: I don't know much about Hannah. She is 3-1, I am 4-1, we are pretty comparable. I don't know much about her style. She is an up and comer and so am I. It's gonna be a good fight.

Q: Does not knowing much about her make it harder to come up with a game-plan?
A: No, it doesn't really matter. Sometimes I look up opponents to see their style and attack weaknesses. I focus on my own game, I know what I am good at and my strength and go from there. My coach always comes up with the game-plan and it has worked well for me. I go with whatever he says.

Q: She has to do some traveling for this fight, you have done that before, from your own experience can that have a negative affect on her?
A: For her, I don't know. I came 700 miles, a little farther than she did. I don't mind traveling, it gets me out of the atmosphere I am always in and gives me more experience. I want to take that win home if I am coming all this way just to fight an opponent cause I can't find opponents locally. I feel I am going all this way, leaving my children and work, I really want to win. I imagine she feels the same way.

Q: Is there a key to winning this fight for you, something you need to do?
A: I don't think so. I am a well-rounded fighter, I feel comfortable standing or on the ground. I don't feel there is a certain thing, just fight my game-plan.

Q: It is for the title, is that title important to you or more just a status thing to help market yourself?
A: I would say, every fight is like another day at the gym, I am looking for the next level. I don't want to stay an amateur forever, so I am looking for more experience. It means something to earn a belt, it is something I want, it is a pride thing. I feel like it is something I can earn and deserve to have. I ma having trouble finding fights so in some ways it can be even harder.

Q: Do you have a prediction?
A: I am gonna do my best and let the best person win.

Q: You both have some hype around you and good records, how big a win would this be?
A: It would be a huge win for me. It would mean something to me and I am not taking it lightly. A big win for me definitely.

Q: Do you know what you want next or just one at a time?
A: I do go one at a time. I have another fight offer but it is not confirmed. I try and take them one at a time.

Q: Have you given any thought to how many fights you want before you turn pro?
A: Between ten and twelve. Pretty much when my coach says we are ready. I am not looking to jump in there just because I got a little hype or a title. I am not looking to advance till I am ready cause those girls are serious.

Q: Long term is the goal something like Invicta?
A: Definitely! Invicta is in my sights.

Q: Are there any fighters you like to watch and learn from?
A: Tecia Torres, I like her technique and style. I have been a fan since she was an amateur. Of course Ronda Rousey, Miesha Tate, Cat Zingano, those girls I like watching.

Q: Anyone you want to thank?
A: My teammates at The Martial Way, my coach Jason Sedowski, for making this all possible. Kitty Perry, she helps take care of my children and that is most important over anything, also Anytime Fitness.

No comments:

Post a Comment