Sunday, June 26, 2011

WBFF Pro Fleur De Kine Interview


At the time this interview was done, Fleur De Kine was days away from competing at the Boston WBFF show. Fleur won the overall and earned her WBFF Pro card. Not bad for a girl who when she first competed just "didn't want to make a fool of herself". But this is just the beginning for Fleur. I see so many more big things in her competing future.




Q: First, Fleur, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: No, Thank You! I have read your blog for a while. My first introduction to it being the interview you did with Genie Sammons!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I am an only child and my family is fairly small by some peoples standards. It's only my Mom, Dad and I. My mother is British and my father is from South Carolina. I grew up in the Air Force and was blessed to live all over the world. I travel to England every year to see my Grandma, Aunts, Uncle and cousin. I work at an amazing restaurant as a captain/bartender and I have a flair for the mixology.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: Yes! My father daughter activity was martial arts for as long as I can remember. I won the Presidential Fitness award in 5th grade, lol and ran track and cross country in middle school through high school.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I always lifted and I have always found muscles on a woman to be inherently sexy. It was a natural progression from martial arts with my father.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: It was something that was easy. Results came fairly fast and it's been a journey throughout the years. I have built muscle and lost it and built it back again but now, I have reached a point with my body where I am quite happy with it and ready to keep improving!

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
AL It was a goal for myself that I had for a few years and as a gift to myself and due to the fact that I had gained 30lbs from starting my new job at the time, I decided it was time!.


Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported?
A: My family has always been very supportive and I have a wonderful core of friends. The ones who didn't get it faded away and that helped me figure out who did and did not care.

Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: Oh, when I started I had NO idea what to expect. I just wanted to not make a fool of myself. I was surprised at the positive feedback I received and when I got the pictures of how I looked. It has been a wonderful journey with each show and the best thing are the friends that I have made at each show! Also, how much absolute fun I have at each one. It's seriously one of the best feelings in the entire world!

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A:
*April 2009- Fitness Atlantic- First Place Figure Tall
*June 2009- NPC CT State- First Place Figure Tall
*Nov 2009- NPC Nationals- Figure, DNP
*June 2010- NPC CT State- First Place Figure Tall
*July 2010- NPC Europa Battle of Champions- First Place Figure Tall
*April 2011 WBFF Fitness Atlantic- 2nd place Figure Tall
*May 2011- NPC Jr. USA- 11th place Women's Physique Division


Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: I'd probably say my abs. Second my back.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: I love, love, love training back. T-Bar rows are the way to go!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: My normal training routine is:
Mon: Chest/bis cardio
Tues: Legs cardio
Wed: Back cardio
Thus: Shoulders cardio
Fri: Pylometric style exercise cardio
Sat: cardio
Sun: off
Contest prep it depends on my goal. I spend a few weeks doing hypertrophy, a few strength and endurance, a few toning. I like to mix it up to keep my body from plateauing.

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: More positive and definite curiosity! Then they can't believe that I work where I work and I'm not constantly eating the food. I just tell them that it will be there when I get off stage and it usually is!


Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: I used to be frustrated when people would ask me questions about the sport then I embraced it. I don't get sick of it anymore. It's an opportunity to educate and share what it's about and help people understand. A lot of the times people will ask about my diet or how much time I spend in the gym a day.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: There is no quick path to this. 'You can't out train a bad diet' and you can't look like this only doing cardio. Yes, it requires sacrifices but it's not that big of a deal. You have to figure out what you want more. Oh, and you have got to lift weights. Seriously. You don't have to start off heavy but you need to build muscle in order to rev up your metabolism and have a nice toned physique.

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: Best part is the mental clarity it gives me. It gives me time to focus on myself and shut out stress. Also, it has afforded me to meet some wonderful people who have just enhanced my life.
Worst? I'm not sure I have a worst but, it's probably when I cheat myself by cheating on my diet and the guilt that happens later because I know better and I'm only stalling my progress. I'm not going to say that I have never cheated because I have. Not often but, it's happened. Just had to realize why I did and learn to circumvent those triggers.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: Oh yes. Some I've never met and some are my friends who motivate me with their drive, passion, support, and dedication:
Natalie Benson, Jillian Reville, Alicia Harris, Ava Cowan, Stephen Fogel, Marc-Antoine Andrade


Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Indeed I do! Nut butters and Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs! Sushi! Mainly Reese's Eggs though. Oh, and I am a sucker for a Knob Creek on the rocks.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Make sure your nutrition is on point and have fun with it! Do it for you! It's your body, you keep it, it goes everywhere with you so make sure you love it.

Q: Do you think its becoming more common for women to use the weights as opposed to just doing cardio and things?
A: I've always used weights so I hope it's common! lol. Yes, I think that mainstream people are finally accepting it. Whether it be a kettle bell or a shake weight, you have to start somewhere.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
AL Cooking! I am a very good cook! I also love make up. I love reading and music as well as the fact that I'm a geek so I tweet a lot. Like a lot, a lot. Beware if you follow me. Haha.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Fleur De Kine.
A: It's not that interesting when I look at it on paper...
On work days
7:30-8am: Wake up
8-8:30 Meal 1
9am Cardio 1
11:30am Gym
12:30 Meal 2
1:30pm leave for work
3:30pm start work
4:30pm Meal 3
8:30pm Meal 4
11:30pm Leave work
1145 Meal 5
1230am Cardio 2
then nap.
Non work days:
9am Wake up
930am Meal 1
10am Cardio 1
1pm Meal 2
4pm Meal 3
7pm Meal 4
10pm Meal 5
Somewhere between meal 3 and 4 I'll hit the gym and between Meal 4 and 5 I'll do cardio.

Q: Describe Fleur De Kine in five words.
A: Passionate, Weird, Driven, Awkward, Bad Ass

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I have a few superstitions:
I can't kill a spider because if they are around it means money is coming your way.
I can't take salt directly out of someone's hand. It has to be placed down first.
I believe in unicorns.
Yes, I am an odd duck.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: Saturday June 25th I shall be competing in figure at the WBFF Boston show. Then an off season to make improvements and grow! I'd like to go to the Olympia and have some booth work. Look for the website I'm building. I'll have recipes, workouts, make up tips and more... (NOTE: Fleur won the overall at the WBFF show and received her Pro card)

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: I'd like to promote FTNS Radio and internet radio station that has been instrumental to me this year. Listen at www.FTNS.co. I am a guest on the Body Shop from time to time and it's a great.
My diet coach PJ Braun at www.pjbraun.comGolds Gym New Haven for creating an environment where competitors can thrive and network
Siouxcountry.com a fantastic on line source for female competitors to figure it all out!

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Fleur De Kine the athlete and competitor?
A: YES! I am indeed looking for sponsors! You can reach me through:
e-mail at: fleuryvette@gmail.com facebook: www.facebook.com/fleuryvette
Twitter: www.twitter.com/fleuryvette
In sponsoring me you are acquiring an athlete who is passionate, positive and dedicated to her sport. I believe wholeheartedly in knowledge and I am an open sponge for information. I am articulate and confident with no problem getting a message out to the public. I have fun and I bring a solid interesting and inviting package to the table. I am looking for a sponsor who shares my passion and has a product I can stand behind and I will promote the product. I am not the type to look for a hand out. In Fleur De Kine you will have an athlete you will be proud of and the public can relate to.


Q: Fleur, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank You so much for this opportunity and thank you to whomever reads this. I appreciate your support of this sport Jason! Keep it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment