Friday, May 13, 2011

Kristy Tyndall Interview


After being asked several times about competing, Kristy Tyndall finally decided to get on stage. The plan was to do two shows. Five shows later, here we are. And no wonder she keeps doing them. She looks amazing and clearly has found a passion for it. Between being a mother, wife, and nurse, Kristy finds time to get her workouts in and her next show is something I look forward to.



Q: First, Kristy, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: My pleasure. Thank you so much for the opportunity to be featured on your blog.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I am a fun loving and tenacious 35year old. I have been married to a wonderful man for over 10 years, and we have a little boy who lights up the room when enters it. I grew up in Wilkesboro, NC and lived in and around the Greensboro area during my undergraduate education. We have lived in Raleigh, NC for 6 years total. I am a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist and I absolutely love my career!

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: I was a cheerleader during middle and high school. That was a long long time ago! I tried playing tennis, but I wasn't very good at it! I wouldn't really consider myself very active until a few years ago.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: It started when I looked in the mirror shortly after Mother’s Day in 2009. I could not believe where I was. I was not the hot mamma I wanted to be! I was tired of being tired and tired of my clothes being tight. I started eating healthy and I felt like moving more. I started running in my neighborhood. I ran down the hills and soon I was able to run up them too. The weather turned warm and it was too hot to run outside. I joined Gold’s Gym and hired a trainer. I grew stronger and leaner.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: Training was easy to pick up because I saw results quickly. I liked the endorphin rush from exercising, and I was hooked! I read everything I could get my hands on (I still do) related to nutrition and training.


Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: My trainer encouraged me to do a figure show and I turned him down over and over. In December 2009 I began to entertain the idea of doing a figure show. Before I knew it I was submerged into a whole subculture of people who trained and dieted for Fitness and Figure Shows. When I showed Mom the suit I had found to order, she replied, “Is that one of those million dollar suits from Victoria Secrets?” I told her about the show and she considered it for a brief moment, before asking me if I was going to paint myself orange and rub down with oil! I am still laughing about that conversation.

Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported?
A: My husband is huge supporter! Honestly, I could not do this without him. He cooks almost all my food and encourages me at every turn. My best friend Laura has never missed a show and I can hear them both cheering me on from the audience!

Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: Competing is a lot more fun than I ever expected. I planned to do 2 shows and call it quits. That was 5 shows ago. I am hooked! I make improvements every show. I am surprised with the the camaraderie that most of the girls share back stage. There are always familiar faces and plenty of people willing to help with your suit, share their carbs, and apply some bikini bite! I am there to be the best I can be and even though I want to win (we all do) I love helping my fellow competitors.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A:
*2010 Charlotte Cup - Figure B, 3rd place
*2010 Mid-Atlantic Classic - Figure B, 3rd place
*2010 Elite Muscle Classic - Figure B, 6th place
*2011 NC State Show, Masters Figure A, 1st place
*2011 Charlotte Cup, Figure B, 2nd place, and 4th place Masters Figure A

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: I really like my shoulders and my arms. They are strong and sexy!

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: I really love training my legs....maybe because they are my weakest link. I love squats and lunges and my new favorite is leg extensions with a "wind shield wiper" move at the top of every 3rd extension. I also love the calories that an intense leg workout offers.


Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I basically train the same year round, although the exercises change. I work different body parts on different days and add cardio in several times a week through the stair mill, interval sprints, plyometrics, running, or riding my bike outside. Even though I eat clean throughout the year, my diet is much stricter during a contest prep. There are no cheat meals from 8 weeks out.

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: People are completely fascinated and intrigued in my diet and exercise regimes. The questions are endless and I love discussing contest prep and nutrition! I find it funny when people look at my arms and approach me and ask if I workout. I just simply smile and say, yes. Most of the time the feedback is positive, although plenty of people make negative comments regarding the muscularity of women. I don't let it bother me at all because as long as my husband and I are happy with the way I look and I am healthy....well, I just tune out their negativity.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: "Do you work out?" I know this is going to sound snooty, but, really, people? You can't get defined muscular physique without some sort of physical activity going on.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: All women do not train and compete to gain size and mass. Honestly, most women don't really get that big. My goal is to have a muscular feminine look to my physique.

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: I am out of bed at 4am and at the gym by 5am most mornings. I love starting my day in the gym and it sets the tone for my entire day, but dragging out of bed is tough. So I guess getting up and training at the crack of dawn is the best and worst part of training!


Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: I really admire Lee Ann Biesanthal. She is a local competitor and has her Pro card with the WNBF. She is full time mom who does personal training and keeps her self in tip top shape. Don't get me wrong, I admire Erin Stern and Nicole Wilkins Lee, but any mom who works and keeps herself in tip top shape wins my vote.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Yes. Anything Mexican is a close tie to butter cream icing.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: If she were new to weight training I would tell her to hire a trainer to get started. I know trainers are expensive so there are other alternatives like consulting a fit friend and reading everything she can get her hands on. The other key advice is to plan. Always care something healthy in your bag to eat....then stopping for something bad for you is never an option.

Q: Do you think its becoming more common to see women using the weights in the gym as opposed to just doing cardio and things?
A: I still see both. When I visit smaller gyms, I find myself one of the only girls in the free weights section. Come on ladies, step it up and get off the elliptical!

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Between working a lot and spending time with my family, I am really pushed for extra time. I really enjoy knitting and anything outdoors. I love to garden and reap the fresh veggies and flowers as my rewards.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Kristy Tyndall.
A: Alarm clock goes off at 4am, out of bed at 4:07, out the door at 4:30. Gym from 5am-6:20. Leave gym at 6:33, work at 6:45am-7pm, home by 7:45. Eat, pack my food, love on my little boy and husband then to bed my 9:30. On the days I get off from work at 3pm I sometimes head back tot the gym for cardio before going home. It's busy, but I love my life!

Q: Describe Kristy Tyndall in five words.
A: Tenacious, Assertive, Friendly, Outgoing, Gregarious

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I am a horrible runner. I try and I want to love it, but I don't!

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: My next show will be the Gold's Classic in Wilmington, NC

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: If anyone is doing that show then Chris Hollingsworth and Niela Lyman offer great tanning and makeup services. They are so professional and do fabulous and meticulous work. Also - I highly recommend a photo shoot with Lisa Brewer Photography. She does amazing work and is wonderful to work with.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Kristy Tyndall the athlete and competitor?
A: I have never really given sponsorship a lot of thought. But, if anyone is interested they can email me at ketyndall@mac.com. They would get a dedicated athlete who loves to train and learn about fitness and nutrition.

Q: Kristy, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you so much for offering this opportunity to me!

1 comment:

  1. Lighthearted and refreshing interview with Kristy. I can recall the first time my hubby saw all the "orange people" at my show...he joked that we looked like Martians who had eaten too many carrots + sweet potatoes. :)

    ReplyDelete