Friday, May 6, 2011

Jessica Zomcik Interview



If you follow women's MMA in the Midwest, you have probably heard of Jessica Zomcik. One of the most skilled fighters around, and always entertaining, it's hard to not be a fan and enjoy watching her fight. Jessica is dealing with some shoulder injuries, so isn't ready to step back in the cage, but when she does, you will want to make sure to be there.




Q: First, Jessica I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: I appreciate your interest

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I'm 24, Engaged to the most wonderful man in the world, I have a Bachelors in Fashion and work in an alterations department at a bridal store and also own an alterations business out of our home.

Q: Were you especially athletic growing up? Play any sports?
A: I was always a tom-boy growing up, but didn't start playing sports until 10th grade when I joined the high school football team. I originally wanted to be a kicker, but didn't do so well at that position, so they put me on the offensive line. I played JV and Varsity for the rest of high school and then went on to play woman's semi-pro football for another four years. After that I had some nasty back injuries and retired. 9 months of rehab later, I met a guy who was into MMA and went to watch one of his classes, and that's when Dan Swift asked me to try a class out.


Q: Was the training something you picked up fairly easy?
A: I would say no, I remember it taking forever to understand moves and get my body to move in such awkward ways. Boxing was really awkward. Once I got the concept though, I would focus on every little detail and started turning into a perfectionist.

Q: How long did you train before your first fight?
A: Four months, no, seven, the first girl backed out the morning of the fight.

Q: Was fighting something your family and friends supported?
A: Absolutely! My parents were use to my odd choice in sports, so they backed me 100%. They've come to every fight and have accommodated my diet needs (like having walleye and asparagus for Thanksgiving dinner) My fiancé is a fighter too, so he's wicked supportive when I'm a bitch to be around because he knows what its like. They all love me so much !

Q: Where do you train at now?
A: Team DNA


Q: Can you give your overall record so far.
A:
MMA Record: 5-3
Grappling Record: Gold 13, Silver 2, Bronze 1

Q: Is there one fight you would say you are most proud of?
A:All of them as a whole, I gain so much experience from each fight that its hard to pinpoint just one.

Q: What would you say is your biggest strength and the one thing you most want to improve
A: I would say my boxing is my biggest strength, I'd like to improve on every aspect of the sport, especially my weight cutting, that's the hardest part of fighting.

Q: Name the one fight you have seen that you will always remember?
A: Dent vs Lozano-EPIC !!


Q: Are there any fighters you are a fan of or love to watch?
A: Anyone I've trained with, its exciting to see fighters do their thing in the cage when you have a connection with them through training

Q: In your opinion, who are the top five female fighters in the sport pound for pound?
A: Cyborg, Fuji, Kaufman, Frausto, and Baszler

Q: Do you ever see a major U.S. women's only company being viable?
A: Fightergirls seems pretty legit

Q: Often you watch a show that has one women's fight. Somehow that fight always turns out to be the most exciting fight on the card. Why do you think that is?
A: Women pay more attention to detail so most of the time the girls are skilled and not just throwing haymakers

Q: What is the biggest misconception about female fighters?
A: That we can't hit hard


Q: If another woman told you she wanted to train for the sport, whats the biggest piece of advice you would give her?
A: You definitely have to change your entire life, your social life is very minimal, your hair and skin are not going to be nice anymore, you will be hungry and will cry, but you will have so much fun and it is very rewarding overall

Q: Outside of training and fighting, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I really like sewing and cooking. I know its kinda lame but I get really excited to go to work, and I often day dream about sewing or making things. Metal, wood, clay, fabric or really anything, I like making stuff

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Jessica Zomcik.
A: For training camp time, it usually goes like this: 6-7am wake up, get some sort of cardio, shower, sew stuff for my business, 10-5 work at bridal store, head to gym until 9 or 10, shower, make food for next day, sew stuff for my business, sleep, repeat

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: There's a horse on top of the fridge

Q: Describe Jessica Zomcik in five words.
A: Girl who never stops moving

Q: So whats next for you? Any idea when you will be fighting again?
A: I've got some shoulder issues going on, I'm still grappling daily, but boxing kills me, so it will be a few months but I'm definitely not retired

Q: Anything you want to take this time to plug or promote?
A: I'd like to thank my supporters over at Harley Davidson of Erie, Pennsylvania; Dan Swift, Al Zuck, Ed Stewart, all of Team DNA; and my family

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so, how can they reach you?
A: jzomcik@yahoo.com or through Dan Swift.


Q: Jessica, I want to thank you for doing this. Any last words before you go?
A: Keep on keepin' on

No comments:

Post a Comment